1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 How to attach a .pdf-file into a thread ?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by erich37, Aug 2, 2014.

1. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

I am wondering how to attach a .pdf-file into a Forum-thread ?

I do not see any button which says "attach" in order to put and position the file into the Editor.

It only shows a "Delete"-button next to the .pdf-file, but there is no other button which says "attach" or "Embed File".

Using XF-version 1.3.1
    FireFox 31.0

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Only images can be attached and embedded in that manner.
  3. erich37

So how do I attach a .pdf-File into a thread ?
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You already attached it by uploading it.
  5. erich37

well, but how do I position the .pdf-File within the thread ?

Or better said:
    how to attach the file to the thread-post ?

There is only a "Delete"-button, no "Insert File"-button.
  6. Falken

Falken Member

You can't.
  7. erich37

major drawback if it is not possible to attach a .pdf-file to a thread.
    Then the button "Upload a File" should probably be re-named towards "Upload an Image".

8. DFI

DFI Active Member

9. Brogan

It is possible to attach a .pdf file to a thread, as has already been confirmed.
  10. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Not so, 'upload a file' indicates just that, uploading a file. Inserting it (embedding it) into post content is a whole different matter though still quite related (as it is a second optional step to handle the upload if the upload is an image).

While xf doesn't allow you to insert and embed a pdf directly from an attachment into a thread there is nothing explicitly saying it isn't possible but this is something you would probably be best off using a custom bbcode to handle.

He said 'attach' but he literally means 'embed' a pdf and I am assuming he is talking about using the same 'upload->insert-image' flow to do it.
  11. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Hi Erich,

It wouldn't be practical to embed a PDF document into a post. PDF documents are designed to be view by clicking a .pdf link and having the browser or stand alone program bring up the file to display it.
  12. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you look at the bottom of this post, you will see what it looks like when a PDF is attached to a thread.

I have to say, considering you have been using the software for so long, you're only becoming aware of this now? It's not only the way it has always worked in XenForo, but actually the same way it works in pretty much all forum software.

Attached Files:

13. erich37

well, I do not want to "embed" the pdf-file, I just would like to "attach" the pdf-file.

Exactly the same as @Chris D did in the post above.

I was just wondering if the file could be positioned in a certain position / location within the thread-post.

14. Brogan

15. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

If you're not able to upload a PDF file you need to set this to allow for that:

Admin CP -> Options -> Attachments -> Allowed Attachment File Extensions

However that should already be one of the allowed file types.
  16. erich37

yeah, I know that. Thanks!

The issue I am having:
    I would like to only allow "Admin" to be able to upload larger (e.g. 5 MB) .pdf-Files.
    "Registered Users" should be limited to the default 1 MB File-size.

It seems it is not possible to define the "File size" via "User Group Permissions".
    But this is a suggestion for another day......

17. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

This is what I did to solve that problem, I created a new folder on my server where I keep larger files for this purpose and link them directly.