How stable is ElasticSearch service on your forum?

Vladislav Rastrusny

Hello, guys.

I've heard, that Elastic can be quite unstable when running on a single machine (not in the cluster configuration). What is your experience with? How stable is it on your forum?

If you're not big on server management it's been a nightmare for me. Mine crashed or whatever it does and I have not been able to figure out how to get it restarted for months.but that has little to do with the server and everything to do with my inabilities.

If you're not big on server management it's been a nightmare for me. Mine crashed or whatever it does and I have not been able to figure out how to get it restarted for months.but that has little to do with the server and everything to do with my inabilities.

Do you have a swap partition? Crashes might occur due to low memory in the server. A swap file would help but it would slow things down a bit too.

Reactions: Xon
Do you have a swap partition? Crashes might occur due to low memory in the server. A swap file would help but it would slow things down a bit too.
Lol my server expertise starts and ends with the fact I know we have one. Anymore then that is beyond my scope. Actually I believe a plugin crashed mysql and took elasticsearch with it. I just disabled xfes in the xf acp to stop the errors and return basic search functions back to the forum.

Elasticsearch needs a professional server environment and a server admin who knows what he does. 2 things are important and it will run without problems for years:
  • Assign the correct amount of memory and take care it is always available for ES.
  • Block any access from outside to the port of ES.

Elasticsearch needs a professional server environment and a server admin who knows what he does. 2 things are important and it will run without problems for years:
  • Assign the correct amount of memory and take care it is always available for ES.
  • Block any access from outside to the port of ES.
you forgot properly monitoring of resource usage Elasticsearch :)

These stats aren't from a forum but they are on a single server. It has also taken very little in terms of sys admin resources/time.

We have 3 different indexes on the one server as well:

Index One (this one gets queried 30x a second)
Documents 375,919
Index Size 55.44 MB
Search Queries 214,946,695
Search Avg Time 0.002185

Index Two
Documents 55,508
Index Size 35.47 MB
Search Queries 625
Search Avg Time 0.004230

Index Three
Documents 53,199
Index Size 59.65 MB
Search Queries 1,190,091
Search Avg Time 0.002304

In other words, ElasticSearch is very stable (going off what I've experienced).

Top Bottom