How often do you think people use the 'Newer Than' option in the search box?

We on AVForums want to use ES to weight the search results so that items in our products table are returned with the highest priority, then reviews, news and articles, then user reviews, then competitions, then threads.
I'm told this is not easy.
I've recently started poking away at extending the enhanced search.

I've just got in testing the ability to filter based off word count (my sites has a lot of writing content), plumbed all the way from the front-end to Elastic Search. Just on the Post content type for the moment, but it is trivial to extend now.

I need to-do something so it can be easily used on the quick search in a thread. As a major use case is easily finding large chunks of user content in a 2000 page thread.

This is a little ways off from the original topic... but... it actually wouldn't be that difficult. It would require rebuilding your whole search index though and making a change to every search handler class that you use on your site.
Rather than doing the boosting at index time, you can manipulate the search query before it is sent to Elastic Search to add arbitrary score boosting based on types.

Then you can use the same 'relevancy' script in the stock XenForo Enhanced Search, and it is just the _score value which will be influenced.

I'm thinking of prototyping this out over the weekend, as content-type based priority sounds like something useful.

Top Bottom