Are tags valuable? Under used? Should we use them in the main search?

Forsaken

I agree that curated tags are the most useful. Once the tags are set up, though, having them automatically added to threads is pretty much essential, I'd say.

There was a non-forum software that I currently can't remember that was context/content aware, and would use pre-configured tags and relation between tags to generate a tags automatically. It was pretty accurate, and worked very well but I can't remember it at all anymore.

Pretty sure it was a CMS however.

I love using tags over other things but every community software I've seen either does it horribly as a after-thought, or the software itself doesn't fit well for what I need (lack of functionality). Like I like Discourse/Flarum to some extent, but they're too barebones and not really functional for my needs at all.

How tags can be automatically added to threads?

Mouth

Uncurated tags are about as useful as no tags.
Once the tags are set up, though, having them automatically added to threads is pretty much essential, I'd say.
I'm very surprised we don't have a function/add-on that, via cron, automatically applies tags to content where the content, via 'weight', matches existing tags. Would save admin/curator time and effort, and greatly increase user experience (and SEO?).