1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How *not* to speak with a British accent.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shamil, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Here's a video I trudged up. It apparently is mean to teach you how to speak with the British accent. I advise you otherwise. Have fun!

So, what do you think?
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Oh bugger, linked to wrong video. Link corrected. sorry.
  3. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

How not to speak with a british accent:
    dont be british.
  4. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

Aren't there about 30 different kinds of British accents?
  5. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I have found it really hard to get into Lost (TV show) is all the attrocious fake Aussie accents (not from Claire - who is an Aussie, abet a bogan one ;p )

Simple rule.. if it doesn't come naturally... don't try to fake it, people will ALWAYS know.
  6. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

In most cases anyway. Some people are really, really good at accents. :p
  7. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I can do a passable kiwi one ;)
  8. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

It's like an Irish author I like trying to do conversations between people in the U.S. It only looks authentic if you aren't from the U.S.
  9. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

What was the third word she tried to pronounce? I couldn't make it out in either accent, but it sounded like something we would call someone running a xenforosucks.com site to my ear :eek:

Thanks for posting that up, the office are wetting themselves laughing over it.
  10. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Someone should tell her the carrot is optional [​IMG]
    Jethro likes this.
  11. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

lol, I loved her version of British "coffee" and "barbie" (or "bebe" as she says)
  12. Dereck

Dereck Active Member

Hi Guys

I learnt to talk speak with a British accent a while back and have been using it for some time now, it works great on American cops for getting out of a speeding ticket :D

DaKat likes this.
  13. Dismounted

Dismounted Well-Known Member

"Coffee" was great... She said it exactly the same way every time. :D
  14. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Well I'm British and I speak with a southern accent. (which I believe she's trying to mimic, but is failing miserably at hehe)
  15. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I think "barbie" was supposed to be bobby.. and the third word in was thought...... I'm English and I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk the way she is. "The dawg is lost in the fawg"...we don't speak that way!!!!
  16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The video always sends me laughing my head off.
  17. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I think Mike should post a video giving Americans some pointers on this topic. :p
  18. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

She's managed to combine about 6 of them in there, badly.

It's like cockney, mancunian, yorkshire, lancashire, queens English all rolled into one.
  19. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Americans have 5 major dialects and 25 subdialects within those 5 major ones. From what I found, England (not including Scotland and Ireland) has 5 major dialects as well but only 10 subdialects within those 5 major ones.  I may have miscounted but not by much. 

The thing is, she is using the generic "American" used by actors that is not a true American accent.  

20. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

For me, where english is'n my native language, the very British accent sounds terrible. :D Sorry about ...
    For my ears, it is difficult to understand.
    The American English from the east coast sounds simple, soft and beautiful. ;)