How *not* to speak with a British accent.

For me, where english is'n my native language, the very British accent sounds terrible. :D Sorry about ...
For my ears, it is difficult to understand.
The American English from the east coast sounds simple, soft and beautiful. ;)
What part of the East Coast? There is a wide variety there. 
We have the Maine who sounds kinda like they swallowed their tongue.
Boston who can't pronounce r's to save their necks
New York who talk so fast, it's hard to keep up and in that mix is Brooklyn and Yonkers
New Jersey and don't even get me started there
Then moving on down the coast you hit the southern accent where you start the southern drawl...
Get to Charleston SC and it's the stat pepper for the state paper.
Liz 

Most time we has spend in NY and southwest form there near Philadelphia.
Okay, that part of the East Coast. 
Breaking it down helps for those of us here in the US cause there are just too many dialects on the Eastern Seaboard.
Even in that small area, there are a good 3-7 dialects.

Liz 

It's unpossible to differ the dialects for me.
Therefore I don't "hear" it, I do "feel" it only. It's difficult to explain. :D

ok maybe it's time for everyone to upload an mp3 of them saying welcome to xenForo , that would be fun, and yeah there is way more than 7 eastern dialects there's like 50 in Florida and I'm in Connecticut right in the middle of of the north east region in question before and there is more than 7 in CT alone. Including all sub-variations there is pretty much an unlimited amount of ways to sound out English words and still make cognitive conversation possible.

Well I'm British and I speak with a southern accent. (which I believe she's trying to mimic, but is failing miserably at hehe)

So you sound like this? :p
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Americans have 5 major dialects and 25 subdialects within those 5 major ones. From what I found, England (not including Scotland and Ireland) has 5 major dialects as well but only 10 subdialects within those 5 major ones. I may have miscounted but not by much.

The thing is, she is using the generic "American" used by actors that is not a true American accent.

Liz
England has many different accents - Britain has many more. Scottish regions have different accents even though they all sound Scottish.

Up here in the North of England (think of the accents from A Clockwork Orange) we have Mancunian, Liverpudlian, Lancashire, Yorkshire, North Eastern, and nearby is Wales. In Lancashire people from our town sound different to a nearby town. It's only slight but noticeable in the way we pronounce things. It's a strange place is the UK for accents as it's a relatively tiny island yet not just each region, but each town in each region has its own variation.

Top Bottom