how much ram do I need for a dedicated server?

Nobody here can really answer until we get some stats: number of posts, threads and members; number of online visitors during peak hours; etc. Our customized vB 3.7 has nearly exhausted the dedicated server we are on, and we have 7.5 million posts and between 800-850 users online during peak hours (about half are logged-in members). Pricing does vary between hosts, too--you can get anything from a host that gives you a server and tells you to go at it, or a host that offers a fully managed server. More details please!

I'm shopping dedicated servers myself--either upgrading what we have, or moving elsewhere. Or we are actually investigating moving to AWS since we can more easily scale up resources when needed, and it would actually cost us less since we'd only pay for the resources we use. (We've already done some preliminary calculations.) AWS isn't perfect either, but it does seem more suitable for our immediate needs and future growth. I'm having help with calculating the usage, but I do plan on making some sort of beginner's guide to AWS once I am done with the research. I feel that Amazon's documentation is too confusing.

When choosing a "cloud" provider vs. something like a dedicated server, the decision mostly comes down to what else you want the "box" to do. That is, do you see yourself scaling up in the future, what about backups and disaster recovery, are there times you want automatic scale down, what about storage, etc. Cloud solutions are great when these types of uncertainties are present.

That said, we use AWS heavily where I work, and I wouldn't recommend it for the less technically inclined. It has a steeper learning curve than other cloud solutions. AWS is all about planning out and designing your entire infrastructure. Be prepared to get your hands dirty, if you go this route. Support is limited, unless you're willing to pay for it (either through a support plan, or by hitting a price point in services used).

The main advantage a dedicated server will have over EC2 is consistency of the disk IOPs. If you add EBS to the mix, things get a bit more muddy as now you're at the mercy of the replication/locks at the EBS endpoint and also you're sharing the EBS network interface. If you do go AWS, at the very least slave your MySQL in another AZ, preferably in another region. Because of cache priming issues, losing your primary AZ typically means just reverting the app into a read-only mode until it comes back. Image your setup as a new AMI -- you'll be able to quickly deploy it in any region. Also, use S3 where possible for bulk file storage. It's replicated and has better consistency in place when reading from multiple EC2 instances.

If you don't need flexibility on how you manage storage, computing and scaling up/down, then a dedicated server is probably more than adequate. If you're considering cloud solutions, I'd recommend comparing the different providers out there. In most cases, I'd say AWS is overkill (in terms of effort and price) for your run-of-the-mill forum.

Asking "How much ram do I need for a dedicated server?" is like asking "How many bricks will I need for a building?".

Both questions can be answered "It depends."
You will need a few more bricks for a villa than for a doghouse.

What does anyone think about this 1&1 cloud solution?

It's currently half price for the life of the contract, so you can get 4 Cores, 4GB RAM and 100GB of space for £44 a month inc. VAT.

With the option to scale up to 6 cores and 24GB RAM for £138 a month if you anticipate busy periods, billed hourly.

Doesn't seem to bad? It could even be scaled down to 1 core and 1GB of RAM for £18.

just like the title says. planning to go with a dedicated hosting soon.

is 2gb of ram enough? or do I need 4gb?
The only person you will really be able to get an accurate answer from, is the host you choose, and that's when you have your server loaded up with what you're running on it.

I use ServInt's flex dedicated, and where I started with 4Gb of RAM, thinking that was heaps, suddenly I was already peaking that out within a couple of months due to a combination of the features provided, forum traffic and people online, on my main site. I started experiencing some real issues, found the RAM was peaking bad, so it got doubled for $15 a month due to my sites specific needs.

That is my example of how you won't know until you load up your server with what you need. More RAM is usually better.

My home MAC uses 16Gb for performance. I started with 4Gb... quickly went to 8Gb... yet I was still peaking the RAM and using it up based on programs and system use, thus performance sucked having to force the system to keep using virtual memory from the HDD... so I doubled it again, and performance is programs doing their tasks, opening, closing, being dragged in heavy operations, etc etc... all perform well now as they have lots of excess RAM to do their jobs with.

A server isn't being used like a home computer, however; the moral is RAM is more important to your users viewing of your site than you may give it credit for.

The only person you will really be able to get an accurate answer from, is the host you choose, and that's when you have your server loaded up with what you're running on it.

I use ServInt's flex dedicated, and where I started with 4Gb of RAM, thinking that was heaps, suddenly I was already peaking that out within a couple of months due to a combination of the features provided, forum traffic and people online, on my main site. I started experiencing some real issues, found the RAM was peaking bad, so it got doubled for $15 a month due to my sites specific needs.

That is my example of how you won't know until you load up your server with what you need. More RAM is usually better.

My home MAC uses 16Gb for performance. I started with 4Gb... quickly went to 8Gb... yet I was still peaking the RAM and using it up based on programs and system use, thus performance sucked having to force the system to keep using virtual memory from the HDD... so I doubled it again, and performance is programs doing their tasks, opening, closing, being dragged in heavy operations, etc etc... all perform well now as they have lots of excess RAM to do their jobs with.

A server isn't being used like a home computer, however; the moral is RAM is more important to your users viewing of your site than you may give it credit for.

thanks for that great answer. currently looking at the standard dedicated server package from hostgator for $225/month - it has 4gb of ram. should be a good starter.

If you're looking at $225 per month, you should take a look at ServInt's flex dedicated range, as I only pay that for a 6 core with 8Gb or RAM, running SAS drives. A lot more reputable than HostGator, and far superior equipment at a rough guess. ServInt use all enterprise grade... none of this cheap nonsense for maximum profits.

Top Bottom