How many of you cringe when you hear "oldschool" ?

jonsidneyb

So many of the things I have done, do, and own get called "oldschool" all the time.

Does this happen to any of you?

This stuff all seems like it was yesterday to me but I guess a lot of it was 30 year ago. I use 30-50 year old stuff everyday.

Not nearly as much as "back in the day". Nevertheless, it has to be used right. I have said that DBAs who believe every log needs its own LUN and they need several LUNs for performance are thinking old school - as in an older school of through that prevailed when using direct or serial attached SCSI drives.

Its a school of thought that is needless when a LUN is a virtual SAN device striped across multiple physical disks.

Old school - more LUNs, more spindles, better performance, i.e. give me 20 x 300GB LUNs
New School - One LUN, many spindles, outstanding performance, i.e. I need a 6TB virtual SAN LUN.

How's this for "old school"?

old fart.webp

A very self-important university freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.
"You grew up in a different world. Actually, an almost primitive one," the student said loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon and our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light speed processing and, ," pausing to take another drink of beer.
The senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young. We invented them! Now, tell me, what are you doing for the next generation"?

The applause was resounding.

A very self-important university freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.
"You grew up in a different world. Actually, an almost primitive one," the student said loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon and our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light speed processing and, ," pausing to take another drink of beer.
The senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young. We invented them! Now, tell me, what are you doing for the next generation"?

The applause was resounding.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Old school - more LUNs, more spindles, better performance, i.e. give me 20 x 300GB LUNs
New School - One LUN, many spindles, outstanding performance, i.e. I need a 6TB virtual SAN LUN.

That's not old school. It was not that long ago when there was Heath Kit, and the Tandy using tris dos. Just a few nights before that the mimeograph had it's day. If it is electronic and could be owned by the average individual that's not old school, is it?

That's not old school. It was not that long ago when there was Heath Kit, and the Tandy using tris dos. Just a few nights before that the mimeograph had it's day. If it is electronic and could be owned by the average individual that's not old school, is it?
I think you just misused the term in the way you said bothers you, didn't you? Time frame vs. philosophies?

I think you just misused the term in the way you said bothers you, didn't you? Time frame vs. philosophies?
Nah, I usually get confused when I hear "old school" I was just asking if things that recent qualify as the term is used. I kind of wish the term would vanish since most of the things I am around not computer related keep getting called "old school" by too many people.

Nah, I usually get confused when I hear "old school" I was just asking if things that recent qualify as the term is used. I kind of wish the term would vanish since most of the things I am around not computer related keep getting called "old school" by too many people.
The word you're looking for is classic.

Or timeless, vintage, quintessential, master work, or consummate.

"Old school" is like "aloha". It means different things depending on how you use it.

Old School Music

Old School Sci Fi

Old School Comprehension

The electric fan beside my bed is from the 1920's, it looks brand new. My toaster is from the 1950's and it works as good as new. I use a french fry cutter from the 50's, and I crack pecans and walnuts in a device from the 40's. I shot a pair of revolvers given to me in the 60's by my Dad. My favorite rifle is built on an action made in 1904. My bread knife was my grandfathers, my Sofa is from the 30's. I do ride a newer bicycle, it is an 1987 Trek 520.

I wish people would say classic instead of old school. I don't look anywhere near my age and can still carry a backpack for 100's of miles, and go on 250 mile bike rides. I get mistaken for being in the mid to late 30's. The younger people I know seem to forget how old I am until I say something then I either hear "God your old" or "You are so old school and so if your stuff".

I'm just about to hit 20 and everyone calls me old school. I take it as a compliment instead.

Most of the things I own is older than you. I think the only things younger is my computer, and computer related items, my clothes, and just a hand full of items like my toothbrush.

Top Bottom