How many MySQL connections?

yes. hostgator is very competitive. And their response time is very quick compared to other experiences I've had. Pretty much every query has been answered within an hour.
my forum originated on a wowbb trial, migrated to wowbb hosting. then, a month before the renewal my site got pulled down, and it took three days for them to get back to me, claiming that there was a security breach and somebody had hacked my site. (I suspect different.) I migrated to hostgator soon after, and since then, have had no real problems until the MySQL too many connections problems started a few weeks ago.

The difference between not having root access, enough resources and quota available to you, and up to 25 concurrent connections, is worth the difference between a high end shared hosting and a start up VPS - is something I feel can be ignored. Shared hosting might be fine if you have 250 members and 1 post a day. It's not when you have a community that's growing.

The amount of good communities I have seen die 100% due to data loss because of shared hosting in the last 10 years has been more than enough reason for me to simply see what I said in my article to be content in context, that shared hosting is dead. I know it is not literally dead. Millions are being made selling customers on a $5+ per year hosting account.

I for one simply dont' want to be moveing host every time I have a peak in traffic in my site. Or lose data because I don't have shell access and can't make regular back ups, or upgrade the software to run XenForo because my host doesn't want to upgrade PHP beyond 5.0. etc etc.

A linode account starts at 20/m
A 50% or less shared hosting account seems to start at 10/m

For 120$ a year more, you take away so many problems, for me that's worth investing - as it guarantees the future of the community.

Again, that's just my opinion.

The amount of good communities I have seen die 100% due to data loss because of shared hosting in the last 10 years

That's not a problem of the host but the customer. If my site has any value to me (either $ or because I like it) I have to do a backup. It's foolish to rely on the host.

Or lose data because I don't have shell access and can't make regular back ups, or upgrade the software to run XenForo because my host doesn't want to upgrade PHP beyond 5.0. etc etc.

A host not offering PHP 5 or MySql 5 simply is out of date. PHP 5 came in 2004, six years ago.

It's all about a good host not necessary taking the big guns. There are many forum owners struggling with their forum software and addons and their daily tasks userwise, why should they take the burden of a VPS or dedicated server? For the advanced users (like you), yes - but not for everyone. Or you get a managed server at an even higher price.

Top Bottom