How Long Will XF 1 Be Supported For?

jim83

I'm not sure someone has asked this already, so I apologize in advance.

I might be jumping the gun about asking this, but now that the official XF forum switched over to XF2, I wonder how much longer will XF 1 be supported? By supported, I mean upgrades and bug fixes, etc.

I am currently running over 20 custom add-ons so I don't plan to switch anytime soon (I realize XF2 isn't really available yet).

I mean, I assume XF1 will be retired eventually. I guess I'm just wondering, when XF2 is ready for public sale, will that basically render XF1 discontinued?

Eventually XF1 will become unsupported, but there will be a reasonable period of time where both XF1 and XF2 are supported simultaneously. This period of time hasn't yet been decided yet and will depend on a number of factors but certainly we won't be ending support for XF1 imminently.

@Chris D,

Can we keep supporting XenForo 1.5? Just like vBulletin 4.x and 5.x does both are still supported. Fixes for security major, I'd seen announcements update vBulletin.

But people still loved XenForo 1.5 with add-ons and styles, admin panel, others.

People feel like XenForo 1.5 input member card show up and member card page, others.

It's my favorite XenForo 1.5 :)

@Chris D,

Can we keep supporting XenForo 1.5? Just like vBulletin 4.x and 5.x does both are still supported. Fixes for security major, I'd seen announcements update vBulletin.

But people still loved XenForo 1.5 with add-ons and styles, admin panel, others.

People feel like XenForo 1.5 input member card show up and member card page, others.

It's my favorite XenForo 1.5 :)
They will have to drop support for the 1.x branch eventually, as it would stop being worth the investment in time and money.

The reason VB actively supports two branches is because the 5.x branch is a disaster, and let's not forget how huge their dev team is.

Eventually majority of the mods will shift to cater to the bigger crowd (which in time will be 2.0). This all won't happen in the blink of an eye, 1.x branch may recieve support for close to a year maybe (just guessing!) So you should be fine to eventually upgrade.

1.5 (1.x in general) has served us faithfully - me running XF since 1.1 for six years now. But it'll be time soon to take a step into the future, favorite version or not :)

Just so there's no misunderstanding on the vB4 part of this topic. vB4 is end of life, development has completely ended on vB4 and only security patches will be released.

But it'll be time soon to take a step into the future, favorite version or not :)
up to now I have absolutely zero clues why I should move to XF2 on my 1.x-board. It's neither speed nore functionality at this stage. Maybe 5% of the ~50 plugins we use will survive to XF2 (all others have long lost their coders).
I'm fine with just bugfixing/security fixes. Whatever will come to XF2 as new features sometimes...I highly doubt it will be a total gamechanger (as the base concept is already set) and worth the amount of work it would take to upgrade an existing installation.

up to now I have absolutely zero clues why I should move to XF2 on my 1.x-board. It's neither speed nore functionality at this stage. Maybe 5% of the ~50 plugins we use will survive to XF2 (all others have long lost their coders).
I'm fine with just bugfixing/security fixes. Whatever will come to XF2 as new features sometimes...I highly doubt it will be a total gamechanger (as the base concept is already set) and worth the amount of work it would take to upgrade an existing installation.
Would probably be different from community to community, for my community which is one of the largest in its niche the 2.0 update is looked forward to greatly, and we are investing quite some finance as well as lot of time to it. While on the outlook there may not be a lot of added functionality, the minor improvements are already worth it for us and we are making the most of them. And having been an XF customer for a long time, I know what I can expect come 2.1, 2.2 etc. :)

is looked forward to greatly
we just use the forum as a tool and no user really cares as long as it's 'working' and stable. 99% wouldn't even notice if it's 1.5 or 2.0 on a smiliar style. Ofc this may differ completely on other forums/niches.
the minor improvements are already worth it for us
we would 'pay' for theese with a few hundred hours of work on style, templates and plugins. I guess it would be much wiser to recode the few 2.0 usablity benefits to 1.5 at this stage. I just have serious issues to name one that didn't have an already existing1.5 plugin ;)
And having been an XF customer for a long time, I know what I can expect come 2.1, 2.2
we have been too. I guess a final 2.0 is months away, let's say a year including most valuable plugins. A major frontend overhaul would take min a year+ too. So imho we are 2+ years away from anything that might be a 'gamechanger'. To me thats nothing to hurry about ;)

I also think I'll be sticking to 1.x for a bit mostly cause of all the current custom addons.

I am excited to see the future of XF though.

Good to see XF 1.5.16a coming out. Is there an update on for how long can the 1.x version updates be expected?

Now that we have the 1.x branch and the 2.0.x both available, the support duration of 1.x is one of the most important questions in deciding which version to upgrade to for someone who is on an older version.

Top Bottom