How long will it take for xF to catch vB on the development side

DieselMinded

vB has what 10 years of development? and now with the same development team xF has what 1 year of development?

Its a scary chance to take how ever only the creators can grow a software forward rather than a bunch of people tweaking the original.

So how long will it take this team to make xF superior ?

The only advantage I see for vB at the moment is the number of features and possible plugins. Some see this advantage as a disadvantage ('bloat'). XF is arguably superior in terms of core product. The add-on or modification community is at the moment the biggest advantage vB has over others I think. XF is young but has a lot of potential when compared to other forum software.

I webmaster a vb4 board , i seriously doubt that in the short development time of xenforo that its Superior software being how the same people made both

Are we talking about the previous version series 3 or their flagship latest version also version 3?
giggle.gif

Already has.

To be fair, the one thing i don't like about xenforo (and esp with rc1) is that I made some significant modifications to my style and upon upgrading it took me less than 5 minutes to upgrade and then update my style. Where have those days gone when I could, no we could bank on a sleepless night worrying about how long it would take to update my/our styles? 5 minutes flawless update without any issues at all. it def needs improving.

Well I hope rc2 is a little more eventful. I atleast want to break a sweat with this upgrade.

In what way ?
In what way would you argue that vBulletin 4 or 3 is superior?
A brand name means nothing if the core developers who developed it are no longer around.

I will just say that because XenForo has the former core developers of vBulletin and that they have complete control, that Xenforo is superior to any corporate ran/developed forum software.

I webmaster a vb4 board , i seriously doubt that in the short development time of xenforo that its Superior software being how the same people made both

Depends on your definition of "bloat" and "technical ectasy" :) Feel free to keep using your vb4 software, we'll just feel sorry for you.

In what way would you argue that vBulletin 4 or 3 is superior?
A brand name means nothing if the core developers who developed it are no longer around.

I will just say that because XenForo has the former core developers of vBulletin and that they have complete control, that Xenforo is superior to any corporate ran/developed forum software.

I do mean this with the up most respect. I, you anyone doesn't need to speak for xenforo's superiority, xenforo does that itself.

Then you would make a false argument, for if you strip away the vBulletin 4 style and bootstrapper, you would find that fundamentally the vBulletin 4 forum code is unchanged in a significant way from that of vBulletin 3.x.

I'm thinking Josh was maybe trying to say you aren't responsible for the mess there now in terms of the decisions they've taken with v4. e.g. you'd previously posted and proposed a different style for vB4, which wasn't adopted.

It might be vB3 under the covers, but what they've slapped on top and the business decisions taken weren't yours :)

Top Bottom