How long will it take for xF to catch vB on the development side

Rumour has it vBulletin is now using more jquery.

I hope Xenforo was paid a consulting fee for showing vBulletin the way.

It is possible that vBulletin 5, if it includes more jquery, could get vB5 to catch xenforo 1 "on the development side".
But I doubt it.

vB3 is old.
vB4 is a failure.
IB is evil. and they released the catastrophic vB4.
Seriously: can you trust someone who released vB4 ? If you can, you are very brave.

Diagnosis: Xenforo is the way to go.
vB forums are slow ... I loved using them until I used a Xenforo forum. Now using vBulletin is painful.
Even vB4 styles are tired looking.
An ugly bloated forum that only competes with Xenforo because of the past success of vB3 ?
No thanks.

How long will it take XF to catch vB?

I'd say, a year to two years. IMHO, some things need to happen though.

1. As many have mentioned and I agree, XF needs to have just a bit more functionality to be a competitive/ comparable product to the vB Forum Classic or IPB Forum. I could list some of the missing functions, but that would surely get me into an argument of what is "needed/ wanted" and what isn't. I think we can agree, XF still needs some more basic functionality. However, that said, what XF does deliver now is superior to vB and IPB. Hands down! It is just faster, sleeker, smarter and more handsome to put it simply. That is my personal opinion.

Actually, I don't even think the level of functionality should also be really "comparable" over time, as I hope Kier and Mike will also start to go new ways, making XF actually a blue ocean. I don't really want them to just copy the competition to be "comparable". I would personally want XF to continue to stand out from the rest and I hope Kier and Mike will surprise us with things we actually hadn't expected. I know they can do it and this is where vB und IPB should watch out!;)

2. There needs to be a better place for add-on/ mod devs and style designers to promote their XenForo mods/ works. The forums are fine for now, for a start, but we are in a "plug-in" world nowadays and this business model has made many a company's products very popular. It helped vB too. vB.org, on top of the talents of people like Kier, Mike, Scott and some of the other devs that worked on vB during the past "good" years, is what got vB such popularity. The one couldn't have done as good as it had without the other. I feel XF can't be much different in this respect, but could stand out much better, with a better "Mod Platform" for the XF devs. They want to invest their time and be able to get recognition, to help the cause of "XenForo" and maybe even make a penny or two at it. There is already a large crew of devs working on mods for XF. I feel they really need to have a place to meet and exchange and support their work with the XF customers. This in turn would make the XF product much more attractive, very fast.

3. Internet Brands needs to back off from or lose their lawsuits . :) One or the other. These lawsuits are a hinderance for XF for sure. Without these rediculously stupid legal issues, XF would have a much more open market. Having the lawsuits gone will also free up those especially unhappy vB3 customers, who are avoiding moving to vB4, because they feel it is unworthy of upgrading their current forums with all the quality issues and lack of pizazz. XF doesn't lack pizazz. It is just getting rolling.;)

4. The customer's trust in the XF team's ability to be creative and deliver quality must stay alive. This trust is actually something I doubt will go away at all as long as Kier and Mike (and who ever else may join the team) are confident about their abilities, don't get too bogged down with things other than being creative with their work and they can continue to make a living with XF. This is something I really hope will continue to happen, because the forum scene really needs some fresh air.

And.......XenForo is, IMHO, the only product really delivering it.:)

Keep up the good, no GREAT work guys!

xenDach

hands_clapping.gif

That's exactly what Xenforo needs a Blue Ocean strategy for Xenforo / Developer partnerships. The online forum-based communities that will do well in the future will need to be nimble and so will the Developer Ecosystem.

Think of this as your "rewrite" promised by vBulletin.

I believe it was easier for xenForo development team to make a new platform from the ground up than to refract the old one pieces by piece proposed by the vBulletin development team.

Think of this as your "rewrite" promised by vBulletin.
If you want to think of it like that you are of course free to do so, however XenForo is really not very much like what vBulletin 4 would have been had it been a full rewrite - we had no intention of building on top of an Open Source framework, and intended to have complete feature parity between vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4 - so it's really quite strikingly different from XenForo.

XenForo has come about out of necessity - there is no way that Mike and I could have executed the plans we had for vBulletin 4 in the amount of time that we have had for XenForo.

XenForo has come about out of necessity - there is no way that Mike and I could have executed the plans we had for vBulletin 4 in the amount of time that we have had for XenForo.
Starting XenForo was a brilliant move. You opted out to not become corporate slaves. Nothing beats being your own bosses.

Top Bottom