How long will it take for xF to catch vB on the development side

I agree that dev time should remain 100% focused on perfecting the foundation (forums) before trying to soak more money from customers via 1st party ad ons like chat room , photo gallery , cms , blogs

personally all the photo gallery, cms, chatroom and blogs do is prevent the users from posting in the forums , which is what every admin wants , who dont know how to use photo bucket and start a thread and hot link the images in? why have all that in a photo gallery with limited commenting function when you can have the whole things right on the thread.

a forum i webmaster www.truckpullers.com was just hit with 400 spammers , so i was forced to use the admin cp for the last 2 hours to fix all the crap and turn on spam filters , q&a reg and the likes , i want to claw my eye balls out of my head , even making a post to tell the staff that its taken care of was a pita , clicking back after posting a reply re opens the editor ,,, i cant get past that !! its the most annoying software to use known to man :mad: , i should migrate that site to xF but the calendar system is Way Way Superior to anything out there which is the CORE of the site to share events and event information / results , its the sole reason why i started that site on ipB and it does a good job at that ...

For example when a event is posted in the calendar it automatically spawns a thread in that states forum

go here: http://www.truckpullers.com/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=2&m=10&y=2010

click on an event

then click discuss....

it will take you to the spawned thread to talk about the event

this was priceless integration for the niche the site was built for and moving to another software would wipe out the entire intention of the website

Additional functionality via mods and hacks is what allow the forum software to be so widely used and versatile , with out the mods and plug ins why not just join a facebook group instead , if it wasnt for the adaptation by forum softwares facebook would of killed cookie cutter bulletin boards already

To be fair, the one thing i don't like about xenforo (and esp with rc1) is that I made some significant modifications to my style and upon upgrading it took me less than 5 minutes to upgrade and then update my style. Where have those days gone when I could, no we could bank on a sleepless night worrying about how long it would take to update my/our styles? 5 minutes flawless update without any issues at all. it def needs improving.

Well I hope rc2 is a little more eventful. I atleast want to break a sweat with this upgrade.

I am there with you. vBulletin used to be really good with that, at one point it would make an alter on the post table and the upgrade would take hours. Then I would have to go template hunting and changing 30+ templates, comparing one by one.

I mean .. separating CSS and the HTML? Madness. It just makes things too easy. I have not yet had to modify the HTML at all to change the appearance of a site and that should change. It will get me out of business. So now I will have to charge 5 minutes of work instead of 5 hours for a forum upgrade? ;) I suggest a monolithic approach for the masochist forum administrators and independent contractors.

I think it will take another round of incompetence and disappointment when vb5 is released for customers to finally see the light and think to themselves "I think I better start running".

Makes you laugh when you hear, read rather "I have 2o years of software/product dev experience" and they have what they have today.
smile.png
heck, I have 27 years experience in ageing.

Anyway. xenforo is a lot more healthier, And I don't just speak about the product but with the customer base being happy and not clawing away at their anal cavities due to frustration and sleepless nights due to endless worrying.

How long will it take XF to catch vB?
I'd say, a year to two years. IMHO, some things need to happen though.

Well ... it's vB that needs to catch up.
The software needs a total rewrite.
All the Plugins are going to break to accomplish this rewrite.
So, it's vBulletin that needs to start from scratch.
When vBulletin gets the needed re-write won't all the Plugins break ?

Let me put it this way... VB is a good product, but aged, bloated and needs a rebuild

vB4 should have been the total rewrite.
if vB5 doesn't WOW people, and if it released in 18 months, a huge chunk of the vB3 forum admins will migrate to xenforo.

Well ... it's vB that needs to catch up.
The software needs a total rewrite.
All the Plugins are going to break to accomplish this rewrite.
So, it's vBulletin that needs to start from scratch.

vB4 should have been the total rewrite.

I disagree. A re-write is the last thing vb should do. I'd prefer seeing them back peddal, coming up with excuses and displaying their every growing incompetence so when that 7. something earthquake hits aka vb5 the buildings will come tumbling down and the 2011 christmas party will have to be cancelled due to the software production being cancelled. Just my personal opinion.

now that would be a site to see....

My first was them actually dragging their backsides (much like a dog) across the floor. I know this happened to me when I first tried to style a vb4 forum and before long my backside was being hurled back and forth across the laminated flooring causing bum burns. It's not pretty peggy, not pretty at all.

edit: Speaking from behind the scenes user experience and as an ex-customer.

Shelley: could very well be ! But it seems unlikely.
I certainly like vB3 alot more. Although it looks stale now.
vB3 won't compete with Jquery goodness.

I enjoyed vb3 and I think that's where the problem lies with most people. vb3 at the time was a great product, customers welcomed it (not so much 3.7/8) but they had a software they depended upon, trusted the devs/company to get right and at the time they had no reason to think anything bad about tt as the product was only heading up. When the exact opposite happened people felt they got burnt, in some cases their livelihoods wiped out and that doesn't go down well with anyone.

You're absolutely right, was a great product but times change and technology advances and moves at an increasingly growing rate of knots. Companies can't rely on their glory days, it's what they deliver in the here and now that matters.

My first was them actually dragging their backsides (much like a dog) across the floor. I know this happened to me when I first tried to style a vb4 forum and before long my backside was being hurled back and forth across the laminated flooring causing bum burns. It's not pretty peggy, not pretty at all.

edit: Speaking from behind the scenes user experience and as an ex-customer.
ROFL! you are twisted, Shelley.

Don't get too carried away though - once xF 1.0.0 stable is released the support side of the licenses will kick in, and this will undoubtedly have an impact on development - two or three people can only spread themselves so thin; thereafter something has to give.

This might also be exacerbated if everyone who's been holding off decides to jump on board and get an xF site set up / converted - more new xf owners = more support.

Be careful what you wish for!!
eek.png

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Don't get too carried away though - once xF 1.0.0 stable is released the support side of the licenses will kick in, and this will undoubtedly have an impact on development - two or three people can only spread themselves so thin; thereafter something has to give.

This might also be exacerbated if everyone who's been holding off decides to jump on board and get an xF site set up / converted - more new xf owners = more support.

Be careful what you wish for!! :eek:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Totally agree with that - and all the features that aren't or should already have been included in the first release will take more and more time when they have to factor in maintaining and supporting xF.

Its truly the begining of the end - (this was a sarcastic post btw)

I am more than sure that M&K have been giving that a great deal of thought and will no doubt have plans or ideas in place to add or create a support team on a full time basis...

When that time comes we will all have to wait and see...

A good owners / Admin manual would be a great starting place , more so for old timers like me who`s grey matter doesnt take things in half as quick as it used to . I find I have to read things over and over again for it to sink in.. And even then I normall balls it up at least once..

I really do need a MORONS Guide to XenForo settings...

Regards...

I think it will take another round of incompetence and disappointment when vb5 is released for customers to finally see the light and think to themselves "I think I better start running".
i think vB has really done all it needs to do to ensure they will become irrelevant. the ball is not in their court anymore.

Top Bottom