how is XF doing in term of customers compared to other platforms?

king8084

so everytime i go to a forum and see another platform used i sigh, i feel like i am just too attached to xf to accept other platforms for now

so i tried to search and couldnt get any solid information, how many forums using xenforo now compared to the other big two?

We don't release sales information or other statistics but there is, as I understand, some market share information available from a couple of sources but the data isn't certain to be accurate.

Most people refer to this page:

https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

There's a chart which compares the main commercial forum software vendors.

That'll be the closest you get, really.

We don't release sales information or other statistics but there is, as I understand, some market share information available from a couple of sources but the data isn't certain to be accurate.

Most people refer to this page:

There's a chart which compares the main commercial forum software vendors.

That'll be the closest you get, really.
holy crap XF is that popular? i thought IPB and XF will be very close and sadly VB is way ahead

this makes me happy

I'll add that no matter what the forum software is, the add-ons themselves are niche add-ons. For example, not everyone has a need for application forms or say a media gallery.

For the last year XF has been slightly decreasing in marketshare according to the above tool.
IPS and BB have been growing and are expected to grow further.
vb has been decreasing a lot and is expected to further decrease.

What XF marketshare will do depends on XF2.1 when new features are added to XF. Until then there will probably be a further decrease in marketshare visible in the digitalpoint tool.

Decrease in market share would only be a problem if the size of the overall market or the number of XF installations is dropping. Are those figures available anywhere?

Today the spread is down to 4.0%:

XF 35.4%
vB 39.4%
Invision 19.4%
BB 6.1%

ow!

vb to xf conversion 69% (leaving in swarms)
xf to vb conversion 3.9% (dribbling away, like crazy buffoons)

I just want to know who this 3.9% are, are they mad ... talk to the other 69%
Everyone has difference preferences in forum systems. Liking XenForo is just an opinion, the same as liking vBulletin. It's just as crazy to like vBulletin as it is to like XenForo. Of course, personally, I didn't like other forum softwares as much but that's only an opinion.

Also, this cookie search tool is not really *that* accurate in showing market share. It's an estimation. It could be completely wrong if the companies decided to make their full accounts public.

Maybe, I have no idea how they get this data, presumably spidering indexed pages, so there is probably a "general accuracy" +/- x%,
ignoring the sample that were unspiderable (I'm just guessing how these stats we produced).

When 69% do one thing and 4% do another out of choice, I have a feeling that it's probably more down to not knowing about the other software rather than preference.

I still talk to people about forum software, and much of the public that I know have heard of vb, very few know of xf. But it's just a handful of people that I've spoke to about things (when mentioning I design plugins for forums).

But, I guess there will always be people who buck the trend regardless,

.... variety is the spice of life (does that make marriage the bland Tofu).

Note that a 3rd of VB sites (so a tenth of all forums) are still on VB3 and you see that there's a long way down for VB to go still once they need to migrate to something new/secure.

ow!

vb to xf conversion 69% (leaving in swarms)
xf to vb conversion 3.9% (dribbling away, like crazy buffoons)

I just want to know who this 3.9% are, are they mad ... talk to the other 69%

Even crazier is that there's still a tiny fraction of people on XF 1.0:
83633f93f2.png

Even crazier is that there's still a tiny fraction of people on XF 1.0:
Those old versions would probably be abandoned forum projects that never took off but are still online nonetheless, where admins don't bother anymore or don't want to invest the additional buck to get further upgrades.

Those old versions would probably be abandoned forum projects that never took off but are still online nonetheless, where admins don't bother anymore or don't want to invest the additional buck to get further upgrades.

It's not surprising to see people on 1.1 though. It was a tough upgrade. IGN might still be in 1.3 due to custom development that affected the core heavily.

I think that with XF2 we will see the adoption rate of new version split as well. Not in the degree that vb has, but boards with a lot of addons or custom development are not likely to migrate to XF2 until there is a very significant reason to do so.

We have invested heavily in XF1 development, and I expect that once XF2.1 or 2.2 is out with new features it will be worthwhile for us to nix our investments and upgrade.

SomethingAwful finally announced they are considering moving to XF (I'm fairly sure their owner has been posting on here for a while).

With 60 million posts and 150 million archived posts I think that'd make them the largest XF site, moving from a heavily customised/rebuilt VB site.

SomethingAwful finally announced they are considering moving to XF (I'm fairly sure their owner has been posting on here for a while).

With 60 million posts and 150 million archived posts I think that'd make them the largest XF site, moving from a heavily customised/rebuilt VB site.

Source?

Top Bottom