how is XF doing in term of customers compared to other platforms?

Somethingawful said:
Also as you may or may not know WE DON'T HAVE MUCH MONEY BECAUSE WE'RE NOT POPULAR OR COOL ANYMORE AND EVERYBODY HAS MOVED ON TO poo poo LIKE SNAPCHAT OR INSTAGERM OR CLOWNCAR OR WHATEVER! So we're going to simply copy the quickest and easiest way to generate revenue in the history of the universe, which is do it the Star Citizen way!

Instagerm uses part of my real name. It sounds like a private social network where all the posts are just photos from my personal life stream....I should make that! My mum would love it :LOL: not sure about anyone else though :(

A bit like when this guy made his own version of tinder - where he was the only bloke on it :ROFLMAO:

http://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/guy-creates-own-tinder-app

Perhaps that the newest copyright on the JelSoft line is dated 2001, i.e. they haven't upgrade vB since the Dark Ages.

Spread today is down to 3.6%, if you mouse over the numbers & get the second decimal point. That's half a per cent in 2.5 weeks, suggesting that in about 5 months at the current rate ...

Check that original link (market-share) today...
https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

Saving you a click...
XF 37.0
vB: 36.5

Gap closed in a hurry.

It's been 6 or so years, not sure if that was a hurry. They have had a long time to lose/gain marketshare. Forum's might not be as fast paced to change but just think about what the smart phone market looked like in 2010 til today. Who was out the gate first and has a large market share but not the majority.

The gap is widening: 36.98% (XF) vs. 36.11% (Brand X)

:)

It's been 6 or so years, not sure if that was a hurry.

Six years to get on top of the heap is not so bad. Remember that in the earlier years they were competing largely against their own prior product and with a very lean XF.

The gap is widening: 36.98% (XF) vs. 36.11% (Brand X)

:)

Six years to get on top of the heap is not so bad. Remember that in the earlier years they were competing largely against their own prior product and with a very lean XF.

They were and still are competing against their own past work (vB3) but remember they were also largely competing against vB4 which was a lot of agile development on top of it and while I liked it a lot of people wanted what it should have been. A lot of what Xenforo has been. vB 5 becoming the competition made it a little easier to compete.

Note that a 3rd of VB sites (so a tenth of all forums) are still on VB3 and you see that there's a long way down for VB to go still once they need to migrate to something new/secure.
Agreed--that is where we were at. We were "stuck" on vB 3.7 before converting to XF, mainly due to all of the modifications I had to make in order to combat the resource usage. And I remember from a couple of the old "big board" threads that a lot of us hung around in that I wasn't the only one who had to do this. It's true we could have thrown more hardware at the problem, but that is not the correct answer. Upgrading to vB 4.anything would have just sapped our resources even more. XF came along at the right time for us. We've had a few hiccups but overall, it has been smooth sailing. We haven't had to upgrade hardware in a while and, given our current resource usage, it will be some time before we need to do that.

Today is the first time I have seen XenForo ahead of Brand X by a margin of 1% or greater:

XenForo 36.82%
Brand X 35.75%​

XenForo appears to have hit a ceiling around 37%. The drop for Brand X is due mostly to growth by Burning Board & Invision.

That ceiling is likely related to XF 1.5 no longer getting feature releases. As XF 2.1 will be the next big feature release, there may be new growth at that time. (depending on how aggressive IPS and others go forward)

I am sure the are legion vB3 forums, who like myself, have been patiently waiting for XF2. We don't want to migrate twice, however as each day goes by, more and more peripheral requirements for vB3 require outdated versions of PHP and are generally faltering on the security front. I'm sure when XF2 is released a large number of vB3 forums who have been holding out will migrate over.

In terms of visual appearance, as far as I can see XF1.5 and XF2 have very different visual appearances, I had assumed that to take advantage of XF2's much nicer (to my eye) visual appearance my designers would need to invest their time tapping into XF2 specific things. I don't really want my users to have to get used to two different UI iterations.

In terms of custom features, I assumed that if I wrote plugins for XF1.5, they would require significant re-coding to work with XF2. I'd rather just code things once.

Top Bottom