XF 1.5 How is Xenforo processing images

B@Zzz...

Hello all,

we are setting up a XenForo-forum (we're changing form vBulletin to Xenforo) and it's really a beautiful forum!

I have some questions about how Xenforo works with posted images. I can post a screenshot and "drag 'n drop" (really perfect functions :D) but what happens with the filesize? Is it the same size as uploaded? Or is it possible to compress and resize (in px) the image automatically?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

The files uploaded are generally untouched by default.

However, it is possible to set a maximum width and height for attachments (in px). If that is set, then any images beyond those dimensions will be resized to be within them, automatically.

That's a good method to help reduce the total file size of uploaded images.

At this board, we have it set to 1280 x 1280 so if you upload a really big image here, you should see it gets resized and this should result in a much smaller file size.

Oké, thank you for your answer. I changed it to the same dimensions as this board and it works fine. Image form 3.3mb reduces to 172kb, perfect! I happy! ;)

(and thank you for your fast support!)

Actually I have an other question, not related to this subject, but maybe I'm allowed to hijack my own topic ;) :
I don't see the "staf online" section on the right side of my forum, only "users online". I can't find an option to activate it and can't remember I turned it off?

We don't have a switch for this by default so I suspect there's something else involved. It looks to me like it has been removed from the template, manually, or there's a style property within your style which has switched it off.

The template involved is the forum_list or sidebar_online_users template. It might be worth inquiring with the style designer to see if they can advise if it is an option to toggle it on/off and if so where that is.

I think there is an other problem, In the sidebar_online_users it seems to be correct:
Code:
<!-- block: sidebar_online_staff -->
<xen:if hascontent="true">
    <div class="section staffOnline avatarList">
        <div class="secondaryContent">
            <h3><a href="{xen:link members, '', 'type=staff'}">{xen:phrase staff_online_now}</a></h3>
            <ul>
                <xen:contentcheck>
                    <xen:foreach loop="$onlineUsers.records" value="$user">
                        <xen:if is="{$user.is_staff}">
                            <li>
                                <xen:avatar user="$user" size="s" img="true" />
                                <xen:username user="$user" rich="true" />
                                <div class="userTitle">{xen:helper userTitle, $user}</div>
                            </li>
                        </xen:if>
                    </xen:foreach>
                </xen:contentcheck>
            </ul>
        </div>
    </div>
</xen:if>
<!-- end block: sidebar_online_staff -->

If I switch back to the original forumstyle I even don't see the "staff online" section. Does it need to appear always or only when there are at least there are x-users online?

My profile is "supermoderator" and "superadministrator" so that won't be the problem ether I think.

It will only appear for users who are marked as Staff. You can see that option when editing the user in the Admin CP.

It's possible therefore to have staff and moderators who are essentially not outwardly members of staff and are effectively hidden.

However I would say that's a pretty niche requirement so I would guess that most people would probably have their Admins and Mods marked as staff.

The staff block will always appear as long as there is at least one staff member online.

Thank you! That was the problem! I thougt it was standard, to be an administrator means normally you're part of the staff ;)

Is it also possible to make an extra block with an other usergroup?

When you create a new moderator, at least, there's a checkbox which sets them as staff by default. There's no such checkbox when creating a new Administrator so perhaps that's what has happened here.

It might be, but it would likely need an add-on to do it.

I'm not sure if the Widget Framework add-on has a widget for that:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-widget-framework.297/

This replaces all of the default blocks with a version from the add-on which are more customisable, you can remove blocks, change settings for them, add different blocks etc.

The problem with the staff is because I imported the database from our running vBulletin-forum, so I didn't create new moderators and didn't had the "change" to check the checkbox

Thank you for the link, I'll have a look at it.

Thank you very much for your help!

Top Bottom