• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

How I created my external pages.

@robdog I have another thread going here:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ons-as-folder-image-viewer.14658/#post-194904

I wanted to tell you that I have decided to go the route of using external pages to help me solve my little project problem. http://www.masterchief.com/en/crusaders

I would like to add a messaging area under the comic images... how would I do that utilizing builtin XenForo resources? I know I need to add another content area as I do not want to impact the image area with that. If there is a better solution, I am anxious. peace. Great addon!!!!!

Using external pages, to add an additional comic to my system, it would require a new template, its own PHP file in the ControllerPublic folder, a unique entry in the route prefix PHP file, and its own image folder. It takes less than 10min to manually set up a new comic using this system. The ONLY tasking afterward is to place images in the appropriate image directories. I am so very pleased.

Is it possible to use xenForos LikeSystem on these external pages?!

I want to give it a try... I just need reference to resource that needs to be added

YES! This is code for that... <xen:include template="share_page" />

This is perfect example of XenForo flexibilty, drop in resources are wonderful feature. It works especially well with external pages.

This is example template for crusaders webcomic

Code:
<xen:h1>The Crusaders</xen:h1>
<xen:title>Another Comic on masterchief TEAM</xen:title>
<xen:container var="$quickNavSelected">crusaders</xen:container>
<xen:description>Les Gilppin and Ed Furness</xen:description>

<xen:navigation>
    <xen:breadcrumb href="{xen:link full:en/crusaders/}">masterchief TEAM Comic</xen:breadcrumb>
</xen:navigation>

<xen:pagenav link="en/crusaders" page="{$page}" perpage="{$itemsPerPage}" total="{$totalItems}" />
<br style="clear: both;" />
<div class="sredina">
{xen:raw $html}
</div>
<xen:pagenav link="en/crusaders" page="{$page}" perpage="{$itemsPerPage}" total="{$totalItems}" />

<xen:sidebar>
    <xen:include template="sidebar_online_users" />
    <xen:include template="forum_stats" />
</xen:sidebar>

<xen:include template="share_page" />

I want to give it a try... I just need reference to resource that needs to be added

YES! This is code for that... <xen:include template="share_page" />

This is perfect example of XenForo flexibilty, drop in resources are wonderful feature. It works especially well with external pages.
Nope, I meant the Like system that is used within threads and the activtystream not the Sharelinks ;)

appears to be part of messaging system. why dont you have a go at it and let us know. I am wanting a blog system to be located beneath the comic images.. I may find myself delving into that area...

http://www.masterchief.com/community/en/crusaders?page=5
I like your pages.
The breadcrumb has no function for your pages, and just wastes space.
I'd get rid of it.
IMO.

thanx for feedback. I am starting to feel exactly the same thing my friend... easily accomplished with template edit.

I can easily control number of images per page, considering a thumbnail gallery with multiple rows. I need a way to utilize forum moderation tools to select desired image and grab that data.. mysql tables probably best for that. well beyond my level at this point. peace

Hi,
this EP works great!
I got few questions to you:
1. Should I create a 'case' for each page or is there a dinamic mode to do it?
2. I created a form with you EP, but I can't output the variables :(, do you have any suggestion?

If you need some codes just tell me
Thanks in advance

1. You do create a case for each page. I am sure someone down the road will create a "page manager" plugin, but this mod is all manual.
  2. Where are you trying to output the variables? On the form page or the submit page?

it takes me less than 10min to manually setup a new external page, now with custom node tags as described in jaxel ultimate random header addon.

This is exactly what I was attempting to accomplish before I was given a link to this. It's awesome. I have one suggestion though:
in route/prefix/en.php you could take out

Code:
switch($subPrefix)
{
case 'advertise':
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_Advertise';
$routeName = 'en/advertise/';
break;
case 'draft':
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_Draft';
$routeName = 'en/draft/';
break;
case 'privacy':
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_Privacy';
$routeName = 'en/privacy/';
break;
case 'schedule':
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_Schedule';
$routeName = 'en/schedule/';
break;
case 'tickets':
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_Tickets';
$routeName = 'en/tickets/';
break;
case 'tos':
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_TOS';
$routeName = 'en/tos/';
break;
default:
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_Tickets';
$routeName = 'en/tickets/';
break;
}

and replace it with:

Code:
$controllerName = 'ExternalPages_ControllerPublic_' . ucfirst($subPrefix);
$routeName = 'en/' . $subPrefix . '/';

Note: It would mess up the TOS case due to all three letters being capitalized. Just rename the Controller file/class to Tos instead.

Just an opinion, you could also then use your switch to specify situations like TOS and any others, and then if it doesn't match that case then it falls into the above code.

Great script!

Thank you! It works great :D
I tested index.php?en/pagename/&var=value works. I can take value from $_GET :)
Now i just want to know how can I echo the var i tried some tags but i don't know the right one to echo a var :(
I got problem with POST method :(
Server Error

Undefined index: name
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in ExternalPages/ControllerPublic/

Nice looking site.
Might be nice to have basic seahawks information up there too like ....
A wiki with all the players, maybe coaches ?
I think having a repository of seahawks information could help your SEO, especially over a longer period of time.

I certainly think the "Avatar area" is so big it makes general reading of the content harder.
Are you sure people need to see all that content on every post ? ... it IS all displayed on the member card.
What about just showing POST count ...
and skip all this:

Nice looking site.
Might be nice to have basic seahawks information up there too like ....
A wiki with all the players, maybe coaches ?
I think having a repository of seahawks information could help your SEO, especially over a longer period of time.

I certainly think the "Avatar area" is so big it makes general reading of the content harder.
View attachment 14725
Are you sure people need to see all that content on every post ? ... it IS all displayed on the member card.
What about just showing POST count ...
and skip all this:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been playing around with the idea of grabbing player stats and displaying them either in the wiki plugin or another page that I create.

About the later suggestion, it is a tricky thing because members like having this information displayed beside their posts. Yes, it would create less scrolling and they can view the same exact information on the user cards. Definitely something I will play around with once I get more of my sites on XenForo. Currently moving a site has a blog, podcast and custom tags. :) I was hoping for another release of XenForo before I completed the move, but that might not happen because I am impatient, lol.

Maybe I'm missing the obvious but how is this different to just creating a page using the built-in functionality?

Maybe I'm missing the obvious but how is this different to just creating a page using the built-in functionality?
Xenforo "Pages" are limited to being a part of the Forums, and are not editable outside the AdminCP.
Amongst many other limitations.
The Pages limitations is why these External Pages are being used.

Top Bottom