How hard is it to build a Xenforo forum and manage it?

NovaW2

Hey, me and my friends were thinking of opening a forum hosted by Xenforo, but a quick question. How hard is to build and manage a Xenforo forum?
And sorry if this isnt in the correct spot, I couldnt post anywhere else.....

You need a basic understanding but it's pretty simple and support on here is great.

The initial setup is probably the most technically demanding bit but it's still very straightforward. You need to purchase a host with the right setup, have them create an empty database for you and then it's literally upload the files (so you need to know how to use an FTP client), enter some details and click a few buttons.

You need a basic understanding but it's pretty simple and support on here is great.

The initial setup is probably the most technically demanding bit but it's still very straightforward. You need to purchase a host with the right setup, have them create an empty database for you and then it's literally upload the files (so you need to know how to use an FTP client), enter some details and click a few buttons.
Thanks! Also how much should I put aside money wise to build this? I am already planning to purchase the Tagia Chat and the forum itself

Thanks! Also how much should I put aside money wise to build this? I am already planning to purchase the Tagia Chat and the forum itself

Costs you might not have considered:

A domain name (a few £ a year)
A host (this can range from a few £ a month to a £100s a month depending on how busy you are). I'd say £10 a month is a decent budget to get started but you might get that down to something like £50 a year if you shop around.
The forum software itself you've already accounted for.
Look in the Resources page and see if there's any resources you think you "need". To be honest, I'd probably stick with the free ones while you're getting established, if you need any at all.

Costs you might not have considered:

A domain name (a few £ a year)
A host (this can range from a few £ a month to a £100s a month depending on how busy you are). I'd say £10 a month is a decent budget to get started but you might get that down to something like £50 a year if you shop around.
The forum software itself you've already accounted for.
Look in the Resources page and see if there's any resources you think you "need". To be honest, I'd probably stick with the free ones while you're getting established, if you need any at all.
Thanks for the help!

You'll need to budget for advertising. There's an extremely tiny chance you'll get a forum to take off without a way of getting people to the site.

Avoid crappy methods like paying people on fiverr for tweets - they don't work. You'll need to do some social marketing direct to whoever the niche market is for your site. I assume you already know your target demographic?

You'll need to budget for advertising. There's an extremely tiny chance you'll get a forum to take off without a way of getting people to the site.

Avoid crappy methods like paying people on fiverr for tweets - they don't work. You'll need to do some social marketing direct to whoever the niche market is for your site. I assume you already know your target demographic?
Yeah, I do, and we have a small set off staff to get it on the ground once we build it, and a strategy to get the word out once it's built.

What type of forum are you interested in running ?
That idea has been changing a bit, but we want a site where people can meet and participate in lots of activities like video game tourneys or role play. We also want the forum to be based on gaming, comics, table top games and stuff like that, but the theme has been changing a bit cause there is only so much you can do

Quick question, how much programming and coding knowledge do I need?

If you don't have any experience with website/forums/hosting then have someone set it up for you. Unless, you really want to learn.. then read here and watch videos on YouTube, then ask questions.

For add-ons, I never install them unless it's absolutely necessary. Simply because the more you install, the greater chance of problems down the road (new version capability, conflict with other add-ons)

If you don't have any experience with website/forums/hosting then have someone set it up for you. Unless, you really want to learn.. then read here and watch videos on YouTube, then ask questions.

For add-ons, I never install them unless it's absolutely necessary. Simply because the more you install, the greater chance of problems down the road (new version capability, conflict with other add-ons)
I have some experience just not a ton

Get a host.

1) Place the files on the server via FTP
2) Create a database.
3) Access the URL of the XenForo installation. Input the Database details, and you now have a stock XenForo installation. You can now install add-ons, styles, etc..

You can always "try"... for hosts. Do a search, you'll find plenty of info on hosts for XenForo.

I was a complete newbie to XF in the end of 2013, I have been building sites for a decade or more but never a paid software forum.
I settled on XF My honest opinion is :

1. The software is very powerful, it simplifies many codes processes and makes it run smooth and flawless most times.
  2. The learning curve to setup a basic site is easy, addons and changes, and edits take some getting used to.
  3. Help is available, however daunting to a new user due to the sheer power of the software.
  4. Lots of help from Staff, Developers and members of sites.
  5. I came from SMF, the besty approach is do not compare XF to other forums, it different not poorly designed.
  6. My own pet peeve of the XF help system is sometimes developers answer question via PM so a question asked cant be found.
  7. The backend ACP ( admin control panel ) allows you to tweak and set just about anything you can see and many you cant.
  8. There are a plethora of addons some free some paid and some created by XF staff. And Styles are available by the dozens free and paid.
  9. Good and Bad , the staff is a stickler of the rules but can take time to get used to as they tend to put zero emotions into a response which makes some think the dont care. They do, but they run XF as a business and leave any emotional answers and thoughts out of the equation which is hard for some to grip.
  10. Software is in many ways idiot proof, and if you made server backups too you seldom will have to down a bottle of Tylenol with XF.
  11. Upgrades and addons are about as simple as possible and easy to do with basic skills.

If you can play games on Xbox, and Steam, or know how to setup your home WIFI and have basic computer skills you should have little problem using XF.
I found many skills I knew helped me after years of running websites, but also found it didnt always matter and that when the help system here helps.
Software comes with a year support and you can renew each year for about 40.00 .

I was a complete newbie to XF in the end of 2013, I have been building sites for a decade or more but never a paid software forum.
I settled on XF My honest opinion is :

1. The software is very powerful, it simplifies many codes processes and makes it run smooth and flawless most times.
  2. The learning curve to setup a basic site is easy, addons and changes, and edits take some getting used to.
  3. Help is available, however daunting to a new user due to the sheer power of the software.
  4. Lots of help from Staff, Developers and members of sites.
  5. I came from SMF, the besty approach is do not compare XF to other forums, it different not poorly designed.
  6. My own pet peeve of the XF help system is sometimes developers answer question via PM so a question asked cant be found.
  7. The backend ACP ( admin control panel ) allows you to tweak and set just about anything you can see and many you cant.
  8. There are a plethora of addons some free some paid and some created by XF staff. And Styles are available by the dozens free and paid.
  9. Good and Bad , the staff is a stickler of the rules but can take time to get used to as they tend to put zero emotions into a response which makes some think the dont care. They do, but they run XF as a business and leave any emotional answers and thoughts out of the equation which is hard for some to grip.
  10. Software is in many ways idiot proof, and if you made server backups too you seldom will have to down a bottle of Tylenol with XF.
  11. Upgrades and addons are about as simple as possible and easy to do with basic skills.

If you can play games on Xbox, and Steam, or know how to setup your home WIFI and have basic computer skills you should have little problem using XF.
I found many skills I knew helped me after years of running websites, but also found it didnt always matter and that when the help system here helps.
Software comes with a year support and you can renew each year for about 40.00 .
Thanks! You were very helpful, I really appericate it.
Get a host.

1) Place the files on the server via FTP
2) Create a database.
3) Access the URL of the XenForo installation. Input the Database details, and you now have a stock XenForo installation. You can now install add-ons, styles, etc..

You can always "try"... for hosts. Do a search, you'll find plenty of info on hosts for XenForo.
Oh thats not bad at all really. Thanks!

Extra Note :
If I have learned anything , make backups and if you don't have time, make backups and if you have time make backups.
I think every single problem I had with XF was serverhost or developer addon issue. Meaning it was not a XF forum software issue
it was a server/hosting or extra addon issue. The addon developers take time and pride to put there addons together.
But them working well, is up to you and any support from developers, not the staff at XF. Its a hard choice but so far a tad over a
year I am happy with it and the power alone it has is pretty amazing in my opinion.

Agreed, @WCFA

In fact, before I install or change anything I use a script I created to do a quick backup. Backups will save you a lot of time and headaches.

Top Bottom