How hard is it to manage your own hosting?

There are numerous Linux forums out on the net also that are a great resource.
Just a few sticky posts here (it's not a busy site but I do try to answer any questions that get posted) that cover some of the base commands and services that are typical on a system.
It's really not that difficult to learn as long as you are willing to learn.

Last edited:
Sometimes those google queries are trying to figure out what I'm being asked rather than how todo it
I don't know HOW many times I've ran into this. I've now gotten to where I ask them what the end result that they want is - then I figure out the process of getting there. If there are several routes, I'll let them choose - along with advising which ones will be more time intensive (ergo more expensive) compared to the others and try to give the pro's and con's of each.
It's also one of the reasons I've cut WAY back on providing free assistance to people that I used to - well, that along with the fact that some that were going to "learn" or "teach themselves" never do and expect lifetime free technical support. And yes, I'm getting crotchety in my old age. :D

I'm a professional system administrator/developer. And half the time my job feels like translating customer speak into a sequence of google queries.
yes it's an art form we need to master.. learning never stops for anyone, even seasoned sysadmins :D i.e. sysadmins working with developers who have no sysadmin experience :)

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom