How Else Should I Be Backing Up My XF1?

Matthew Hutchinson

I currently regularly export MySQL database to my local HDD and preparing to upgrade to XF2. Is there something within the system that I should backup as well?

Last edited:
Times like this, I feel like I'm in over my head with XF... Since launching my board two years ago, I thought all I needed to do was backup the MySQL database... now I learn that's not enough and I've discovered terminology I know nothing about. Cron jobs? Shell user? SSH? I'm not familiar with any of them.

My board's easy enough to manage. I love the new ACP and I'm eager to upgrade to XF2, but I'm worried something might break in the process and I won't know how to fix it. Using Google, I've found threads on this board going back 8 years about how to backup XF1 and none of the discussions make any sense to me. Nevertheless, I'm trying to learn. I don't have a choice. I'm never going back to phpBB and I don't want to run a board with an increasingly outdated version of XF.

According to the README that's included with Solidmean, it's not designed to restore backups, so how else would I restore any backup it makes if I need to temporarily switch back to XF?

Times like this, I feel like I'm in over my head with XF... Since launching my board two years ago, I thought all I needed to do was backup the MySQL database

Not really something unique to XenForo, the same would apply to pretty much any platform you use. Realistically as long as you have a backup of the database and the files you'll be fine, doesn't really matter how you get them, exactly, as long as it's reliable.

According to the README that's included with Solidmean, it's not designed to restore backups, so how else would I restore any backup it makes if I need to temporarily switch back to XF?

AFAIK all that add-on does is create an SQL dump and upload it (along with any files) to a remote storage location (G Drive, DropBox, etc.). Restoring is the same process as you would use with any other backup method, restore the files and import the database :)

Times like this, I feel like I'm in over my head with XF... Since launching my board two years ago, I thought all I needed to do was backup the MySQL database...
I am not sure how you do your MySQL backup, you don't know what cpanel is and also don't know what shell is. So I am not sure if you are on a shared hosting or VPS or your own server.

Anyway, I will try to break it down for you.

First of all, it is never enough to just backup the MySQL database. The database saves "only" information which is saved in text-form. Like all the conversations, messages in threads, user join dates, etc. etc.

But what about your attachments, images or avatars in your board? What about all the files of XenForo and of the addons you have installed?
That you also have to save. It is a big folder (just like in Windows) containing all the files.

And let's assume you have backed up your files and database. How to restore it? You put the files back to the server, then you import the database to the MySQL server and done. But you can't restore anything without having the other one. They work together. Technically you could restore just from the database alone, so combining it with the files of a new XF installation (which would need a custom job as I am sure it would put a lot of errors saying files are missing), but you would never have the attachments, images, etc. which belong to those threads.

Which means you have to backup both, your files and the database.

Now, how to do that? Well if your forum is on a shared hoster (the place where your forum is hosted, it must be somewhere), then there is very likely a program called "cpanel" installed. It is already there. You just need to access it (ask your provider how to do that) and in that program there are icons just like the ACP here on XF. There you can easily backup and restore your stuff with some clicks.

If you are on a server without cpanel, then there are 2 ways to connect to your stuff.

1) using a filetransfer program such as FileZilla. It is a program with that you can drag and drop files, you connect by typing the ip address of your hosting with of course having a valid user which has access to it (with a password).
Then you find the folder where your XF is installed. And you can drag and drop it to your local machine. This is not a good way, as it would be better first zip it and compress it, but it works. But you can only get your files this way, no database (that must be created first in order for you to drag and drop it).

2)You can connect to the server by using a SSH program like WinSCP or Putty. You type in those same information you used for the ftp program, so ip of server and user and password and connect to the server. Now the difference is, that you sit on a terminal. Which means you can't do anything by "what you see is what you get" way, like move your mouse and click stuff. You must type in commands. For example when you use Filezilla, you literally see the folders, just like in Windows. So you click and go to the next and next etc. But on a SSH there are no folders you can see with an icon. You have to type in commands like
"cd home/mydomain/public" or something. "cd" stands for "change directory". This command would put you to this path, so you would be "in" the public folder. And like this you move from folder to folder. And if you want to see what folders are in the current path you are in, you type in "ls" which stands for "list". It lists then the folders in the current path.
And then you can type in commands to manually backup your database and files. And then use the same way in restoring it.
See here for detailed commands:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-backup-and-restore-your-forum-linux-windows.359/
And after you created those backup files by using those commands, you can download them to your home machine by using FileZilla (or similar programs).

And there is also a program called "phpmyadmin" in most of the servers installed. Using that you can backup and restore your database. It is ok but mostly not recommended as the program could make bad backups in theory. Which is why it is mostly suggested to do backups manually with direct access in a SSH by using commands.

I hope it is more clear now.

Last edited:
I am not sure how you do your MySQL backup, you don't know what cpanel is and also don't know what shell is. So I am not sure if you are on a shared hosting or VPS or your own server.

My board is on a shared hosting plan with Dreamhost.com. To back up the database, I log in to my account via Dreamhost's Web Panel, pull up MySQL database list, log into my board's phpMyAdmin, and then do a quick export of its MySQL database to my local SSD.

The database saves "only" information which is saved in text-form. Like all the conversations, messages in threads, user join dates, etc. etc.

That makes sense.

But what about your attachments, images or avatars in your board? What about all the files of XenForo and of the addons you have installed? That you also have to save. It is a big folder (just like in Windows) containing all the files.

That's what I'm learning how to do now and finding so confusing.

1) using a filetransfer program such as FileZilla. It is a program with that you can drag and drop files, you connect by typing the ip address of your hosting with of course having a valid user which has access to it (with a password).

I'm familiar with FileZilla and use it regularly. It's what I uploaded XF but would rather not use it to back up my board unless it winds up being the only option available.

A Google search for "dreamhost cpanel" (sans quotes) revealed a 12-year old thread on their community forum on which someone wrote that Dreamhost doesn't use cpanel and I don't see any reference to it on their Web Panel.

Looks like I'll have to figure out where the file backup function on their Web Panel is...

I hope it is more clear now.

It is, thanks.

Last edited:
That's what I'm learning how to do now and finding so confusing.
From what I see now you are good. Nothing to be confused about anymore. The only part what you were missing was to backup the files.
And in case you ever need to restore your stuff, you can come here and ask for help. But mostly the same way you export your database or folders, the same way you import it later (restore it).

I'm familiar with FileZilla and use it regularly. It's what I uploaded XF but would rather not use it to back up my board unless it winds up being the only option available.
You can transfer the files by using SSH but I assume you don't want to do that.
Either your Web Panel has a way of transferring the files, like a download button or a drag and drop window (which is kind of the same as FileZilla) or just use FileZilla if you are familiar with it. Some people swear that FileZilla produces corrupt files sometimes. So you can also use other programs like WinSCP or Cyberduck, which work the same way, but in reality you should be fine. I also use FileZilla.

A Google search for "dreamhost cpanel" (sans quotes) revealed a 12-year old thread on their community forum on which someone wrote that Dreamhost doesn't use cpanel and I don't see any reference to it on their Web Panel.

Looks like I'll have to figure out where the file backup function on their Web Panel is...
There you go, it seems you are one of the lucky ones who has a provider that has his own Web Panel. Most hosting companies don't have their own Panel, most use cpanel or other known panels. That web panel also should provide methods in backing up your files. But I can't say if it does, ask your host.

My board is on a shared hosting plan with Dreamhost.com.
I used to be with Dreamhost years ago. When I was with them, they automatically did backups of my files and database. Taking a quick look at their knowledgebase (which is worth you taking a look at for anything you are unsure of) they still do this:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215100557-How-do-I-restore-my-database-in-the-panel-

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215768257-How-do-I-restore-my-website-

So at least you know they backup stuff too. However, you do need to backup stuff offsite. One option they have is to backup your entire account:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215089918-How-do-I-backup-my-entire-account-

There's also an article on how to backup just parts of your data such as your files using FTP.

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215768237-How-can-I-manually-backup-my-data-

Last edited:
I used to be with Dreamhost years ago. When I was with them, they automatically did backups of my files and database. Taking a quick look at their knowledgebase (which is worth you taking a look at for anything you are unsure of) they still do this:

They only do automatic backups for apps they provide as "One-Click Installs" (ie WordPress and phpBB).

However, you do need to backup stuff offsite. One option they have is to backup your entire account:

I might consider that, but my wife and I share the same account and she has a few websites of her own.

There's also an article on how to backup just parts of your data such as your files using FTP.

I downloaded all of my board's files via FTP with FileZilla the other night just to see how long it would take. Definitely not doing that again. I'm going to learn more about and exploring other solutions.

I downloaded all of my board's files via FTP with FileZilla the other night just to see how long it would take. Definitely not doing that again.
Compress a large folder in your control panel and start downloading it with FileZilla.
Compress another one and start downloading with FileZilla.
If the first folder is already down then you can delete it while still downloading the second one.
Repeat...
Your host can't complain about exceeding your space limit.
(Can still complaining about other things)

I've been on vacation since April 1st and returned to work a couple days ago. I decided to postpone messing with any backup solutions or upgrading to XF2 to avoid the risk of having to spend my vacation fixing whatever might've otherwise broken.

I use the free version of Akeeba Solo - https://www.akeebabackup.com/products/akeeba-solo.html & manually move the backups offsite.

@hkymre , Thank you for suggesting this app. I spent the night learning how to use it on my test board and chuckled after successfully connecting to a restored copy on a subdomain. It worked beautifully and greatly strengthened my confidence in my ability to keep my board running smoothly for years to come.

I use the free version of Akeeba Solo - https://www.akeebabackup.com/products/akeeba-solo.html & manually move the backups offsite.
@hkymre , Thank you for suggesting this app. I spent the night learning how to use it on my test board and chuckled after successfully connecting to a restored copy on a subdomain. It worked beautifully and greatly strengthened my confidence in my ability to keep my board running smoothly for years to come.
Excellent suggestion. Also using it to download specific things ad-hoc. Thank you!

Times like this, I feel like I'm in over my head with XF... Since launching my board two years ago, I thought all I needed to do was backup the MySQL database... now I learn that's not enough and I've discovered terminology I know nothing about. Cron jobs? Shell user? SSH? I'm not familiar with any of them.

I'm with you, brother. I thought I was the only one who is lost with all the terminology. I'm always reluctant to post a simple math question on a board for engineers.

I am with Siteground
They do daily backups of my entire site.
I am having database problems
Do you think I should go ahead and try a Restore using their Restore option?

Top Bottom