How do you setup twitter feed?

usAdultAds

How do you setup a twitter feed similar to what you see on the Xen Home Page?
I would have thought someone would have created some type of addon, and
I have been searching here and there, and have no found anything yet.

Is there an existing addon for this?

Thanks

There are a number of different ways of doing it, from creating a bespoke script to parse the feeds (what I ended up doing) to using a block in a portal like XenPortal or using a 'widget' for one of the frameworks or taking the KISS method.

KISS: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/twitter-widget-on-sidebar.1122/
Widget: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/widget-framework-widget-pack.1077/
XenPorta: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-module-add-ons.7611/page-6#post-145877 (be sure to check for updated versions)
Bespoke: {depends on your needs, coder, etc.}

Ok, thanks, I will check them out.

There are a number of different ways of doing it, from creating a bespoke script to parse the feeds (what I ended up doing) to using a block in a portal like XenPortal or using a 'widget' for one of the frameworks or taking the KISS method.

KISS: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/twitter-widget-on-sidebar.1122/
Widget: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/widget-framework-widget-pack.1077/
XenPorta: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-module-add-ons.7611/page-6#post-145877 (be sure to check for updated versions)
Bespoke: {depends on your needs, coder, etc.}

Here's my cta_twitter_forum_sidebar template.

Code:
<div class="section cta-twitter-forum-sidebar">
    <script src="http://widgets.twimg.com/j/2/widget.js"></script>
    <script>
    new TWTR.Widget({
      version: 2,
      type: 'list',
      rpp: 30,
      interval: 30000,
      title: '',
      subject: 'News',
      width: 276,
      height: 400,
      theme: {
        shell: {
          background: '#e8e8e8',
          color: '#909090'
        },
        tweets: {
          background: '#fcfcfc',
          color: '#111111',
          links: '#004400'
        }
      },
      features: {
        scrollbar: true,
        loop: false,
        live: true,
        behavior: 'all'
      }
    }).render().setList('cliptheapex', 'news').start();
    </script>
</div>

The feed comes from my Twitter list.

that does not help me a whole lot unless you throw some setup instructions in :)
I haven't done it, but I imaging it involved going into your ACP (ACP- Appearance - Templates - Create New Template), placing the code in it. Then modify the template you want it to display in to do an include of the new template you created.
Code:
<xen:include template="your_new_template_name" />
You could place that at the bottom of your sidebar_visitor_panel template and it should display at the bottom of the sidebar (again, I haven't done this but it makes seems reasonable). You can edit the template directly (not MY choice) or use TMS to modify it.

I do not like messing with code, this reminds me of the early vb days where you had to manually
edit code/templates for every little thing, then someone created this thing called addon/hooks....

I haven't done it, but I imaging it involved going into your ACP (ACP- Appearance - Templates - Create New Template), placing the code in it. Then modify the template you want it to display in to do an include of the new template you created.
Code:
<xen:include template="your_new_template_name" />
You could place that at the bottom of your sidebar_visitor_panel template and it should display at the bottom of the sidebar (again, I haven't done this but it makes seems reasonable). You can edit the template directly (not MY choice) or use TMS to modify it.

I do not like messing with code, this reminds me of the early vb days where you had to manually
edit code/templates for every little thing, then someone created this thing called addon/hooks....
I'm pretty sure that there are already addon/hooks in XF - but either YOU or someone you contract would have to code the addon. They don't appear by immaculate coding. ;)
I'm not a coder by any means, but I've got over 30 edits to templates using TMS (those are just mine - not including the ones that the addons use). How do you think the addon modifies the default behavior - same way as you would manually. I just looked and including what the addons have done, there are 129 template edits on my system.

That is correct, but xen and twitter is not new either, it wouldnt be far fetched to
think someone had done the foot work and uploaded an addon, its not a new concept...
this is why i asked the direct question; is there a twitter feed addon...this is why coders
create addons and upload them to make things easier, if xen/twitter just came out
yesterday, then i would suspect there would be no addon yet, so i do not think it
would be unreasonable to think one would have been created and uploaded by now....
and if not, then no big deal, then I will just add it to my get'er done list...

I'm pretty sure that there are already addon/hooks in XF - but either YOU or someone you contract would have to code the addon. They don't appear by immaculate coding. ;)
I'm not a coder by any means, but I've got over 30 edits to templates using TMS (those are just mine - not including the ones that the addons use). How do you think the addon modifies the default behavior - same way as you would manually.

That is correct, but xen and twitter is not new either, it wouldnt be far fetched to
think someone had done the foot work and uploaded an addon, its not a new concept...
this is why i asked the direct question; is there a twitter feed addon...this is why coders
create addons and upload them to make things easier, if xen/twitter just came out
yesterday, then i would suspect there would be no addon yet, so i do not think it
would be unreasonable to think one would have been created and uploaded by now....
I do believe that XenPorta has a twitter feed block if you want to use XenPorta.

It is not that nobody has wanted to do one but rather that it would be an overkill. The KISS method is just a template edit. To abstract the template a bit you could use Brogans method. If you're using XenPorta then there is already a solution. If you're using the Widgets framework then there is already a solution.

ok, np, I do not think I have any plans for a portal, I will try the framework.

Thanks

It is not that nobody has wanted to do one but rather that it would be an overkill. The KISS method is just a template edit. To abstract the template a bit you could use Brogans method. If you're using XenPorta then there is already a solution. If you're using the Widgets framework then there is already a solution.

Footwork is done. TMS add-on, the supplied code by Brogan, the simplified instructions given. Between the 3 takes all of 2 minutes to do. The benefit over an add-on is YOU control where it goes, how it looks instead of depending on someone else. I imaging Widget FrameWork would also work.

Top Bottom