How do you manage your forum on the server-side?

I don't know if the title explains it but I'll try.

I'm asking this to those who have large forums or a xenforo on a dedicated server. I wonder how you guys manage your server? Do you use cPanel or its alternatives? Or you just use web server apache mysql etc.?

Or you just use web server apache mysql etc.?
Yes.
If you don't know how to manage your own, then I'd recommend getting a managed server or a 3rd party to manage it for you. Relying on Cpanel and other 'server management for dummies' for dedicated servers is a recipe for disaster, IMHO.

Yes.
If you don't know how to manage your own, then I'd recommend getting a managed server or a 3rd party to manage it for you. Relying on Cpanel and other 'server management for dummies' for dedicated servers is a recipe for disaster, IMHO.
Well, I've been managing it on my own but I just wondered If most of the people doing it like this or they're just using cPanel or something like that on their dedicated/vps servers. Managing it on my own for the last 5 years and its kinda getting frustrating. And I wonder If there is a best way that I don't know about

Dedicated server. Manage it on my own primarily, but pay a premium for a good, fast host with excellent support who can be relied upon to dig me out of any holes I dig myself in to ... :ROFLMAO:

CPanel managed server. I am not a techie, though I have managed servers in past, but it is more of a hit and go. Plus with a production server, you have to ensure, someone is there 24x7 to manage things, especially in case you aren't available.

I manage it on my own. However, sometimes I need help and then I hire someone that can fix the things I don't know.
I have a quite complex setup, but it's secure. I also use Directadmin because I own a lot of domain names and it makes things easier.

I have used a host for 20 years now. The biggest sites would be on their own managed dedicated servers (or VPS servers), so things like security, OS and software patches and updates, etc. along with hardware problems are all handled by their team. As I have cut back all sites I manage to use Xenforo or Wordpress, that makes my own job easier. On smaller sites, I use my own cloud instance at the same host which I manage myself...from the command line (SSH) and using SCP (via WinSCP) to move files around.

Any time I had taken on a client which had one of those control panels, I only saw it as something in my way to prevent me from efficiently doing my job. On my host, I can even manage MySQL databases remotely, without needing phpMyAdmin (which I have never liked...again, it just gets in the way). When I started in this, the only way you could work on servers was to know the command line and FTP.

Dedicated server with Plesk, mostly for setting up mail, FTP and managing domains. Everything else is done in SSH.

Top Bottom