How do you manage addon upgrades?

mjda

So, I write my own add-ons for my site and I'm constantly upgrading them, or just applying bug fixes, and I wondered how all of you handle this. Do you close your board for each upgrade? Just disable the add-on?

Currently I close the entire board with a message stating "the downtime is expected to last less than two minutes" but I can't help but wonder how many times a member has typed a long reply, hit post, only to be met with a screen letting them know the site is offline for two minutes.

That said, I also don't want to do it while the site is active because I've had server errors and no telling how many other issues when members do things between the time I overwrite the addon files and the time the addon is upgraded.

So, yeah, what do you all do, or am I the only person who upgrades their add-ons that regularly?

What is it that requires constantly updating?

Why not roll updates into a weekly or even monthly release?

To answer the question though, I typically close the site when upgrading, usually in the dark hours.

What is it that requires constantly updating?

Why not roll updates into a weekly or even monthly release?

To answer the question though, I typically close the site when upgrading, usually in the dark hours.

I wouldn't really say they require constant updating. I just like to roll the updates out as soon as I do them rather than waiting.

I just recently converted a forum I purchased from vB to XF. So, that meant I had to re-write all the custom add-ons that site already had on it. Since a lot of the members are older folks, they weren't happy about the forum change and they're certainly not happy about how different the custom add-ons are. So, I'm trying to keep up with bug fixes and changes they request as quickly as possible. I'm hoping things will settle down once they get used to how things work. Until then, I'll just keep closing the forum for a few minutes every few days to apply the upgrades.

Thanks, @Brogan, for your reply!

Top Bottom