How do you handle forum redirect notices when moving threads?

cmeinck

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thread URL remains the same regardless of what option you select.

As someone who moves threads around quite a bit, I'm wondering what the best practice would be for Google, end users?

How are you handling your forum redirect notices?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
A thread URL is the same regardless of what forum it is in.

The redirect is simply there so if someone goes to forum X to look for a thread, they can now clearly see it was moved to forum Y.

It has no effect on anything else, or Google.

cdub

A thread URL is the same regardless of what forum it is in.

The redirect is simply there so if someone goes to forum X to look for a thread, they can now clearly see it was moved to forum Y.

It has no effect on anything else, or Google.
If I was going to reorganize the threads and nodes on my forum... how would you recommend doing it.

For example I have the following legacy nodes that have been around from the beginning.

• too generic node #1
  • too generic node #2
  • too generic node #3
It's been working out but it seems like people don't always know the best places to post things....

I want to create/rename the nodes.

Should I create completely new nodes and move the threads? Or should I rename the old nodes, add some new ones, and move the threads? Will the latter confuse users or el Google?

What do you recommend? (for best user and Google results)

I have always left 1 day redirects thinking that gives search engines time to re-index. But from what I am reading here there is no such need? Do most people move the thread without a re-direct time?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Redirects are arguably more useful for humans than they are for search engines.

Bear in mind when you move a thread, its URL doesn't change, and generally in terms of indexing a URL, all Google cares about is the URL and its content. With that in mind, moving a thread should affect neither of those things, and search engines will be regularly crawling your site anyway.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
It won't have any effect in general as categories are typically only used for anchors and the category ID doesn't change, even if the title does.