How Do You Handle a Account Deletion Requests?

System0

I got a request from a user today for me to delete their account. I'm curious as to how other forum owners handle requests such as this.

Do you instantly delete the account or requested?
Do you ask for them to confirm and stress that it cannot be undone?
Do you ask if they would prefer for their username to simply be changed so that they can deactivate the account at a later date?
Do you charge an administration fee to discourage more requests?

It's not something I get many requests for. In the past, when I've asked the user to confirm that they wanted their account deleted, they have backed down as it was just them feeling frustrated to an argument with another forum member (argument, different views on issues etc).

So how do you go handle deletion requests?

Kevin

On my board I don't delete accounts period. I made sure I included it in the rules when they signed up, so whenever we get a request we deny it and point them to the rules where that they agreed to.

Thanks for the reply guys. It's something that I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere.

What about the legal side of things? Could a user force content to be deleted if they wanted?

I'd say that Null's suggestion of simply renaming the account and removing all personal information seems the most practical solution.

Thanks for the reply guys. It's something that I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere.

What about the legal side of things? Could a user force content to be deleted if they wanted?

I'd say that Null's suggestion of simply renaming the account and removing all personal information seems the most practical solution.
Hm, in terms of the legal side of things; it varies from country to country.

The UK for example: http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/principle_6?hidecookiesbanner=true

Though, removal all personal data and only retaining posts/threads should satisfy most laws.

I simply comply with their request. It's rare anyone asks me but if they want out, I see no reason not to grant that.

Only 3 people have requested for removal of their accounts in the past 7 years and they had 0 posts. I deleted their accounts in a blink of eye.

Only 3 people have requested for removal of their accounts in the past 7 years and they had 0 posts. I deleted their accounts in a blink of eye.

Out of interest, would you deal with the issue in the same manner if those three people had thousands of posts.

I rename their account and set their whole profile on private using their privacy settings. I do not delete content at their request but I would like to allow them to control their thread and post privacy. This can only be done through an addon that I've requested here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/posts-and-threads-to-follow-member-privacy-settings.42004/

Members who want their account deleted do so either cause they got upset during an argument or they are embarassed about their post history due to a new relationship. Instead of deletion they should just be allowed to hide it. I have done so for some members by converting their threads to blogs and setting them as private so that if they change their mind they can come back and I'll convert them back to threads if they want.

Its really just better to let them control their privacy. Once I get this addon made I'll reopen my forum to the public. It's private for now. I swear I've had far less issues and far less moderating needed by simply putting privacy in their own hands. My community pretty much governs itself while I play around with addons and themes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I followed your advice and changed the username, email and password. I also deleted the avatar and removed any other information connecting the member to the account.

We state in our registration terms that we don't delete accounts. When a request comes in we put them in a "Deregistered" usergroup and de-personalise the user profile.

If they later decide they want to come back, we can resurrect the account and away they go again (it's surprising how often that happens).

We state in our registration terms that we don't delete accounts. When a request comes in we put them in a "Deregistered" usergroup and de-personalise the user profile.

If they later decide they want to come back, we can resurrect the account and away they go again (it's surprising how often that happens).

Out of interest, what template is it we need to modify to change registration terms and conditions? I may follow your lead and do the same on my forum :)

Out of interest, what template is it we need to modify to change registration terms and conditions? I may follow your lead and do the same on my forum :)

It's a phrase.

Search for part of the text in Admin CP > Appearance > Search Phrases and phrase it accordingly.

I created a new phrase - registration_terms - and added all the wording I wanted people to see when registering; including a section about user accounts:

Code:
<p>Terms stuff ...</p>
<p>To maintain a proper record of conversations the owner of this board does not delete user accounts. You agree that all material you submit will remain in the database and on display in the forums even if you later decide to leave the board or request that your user account is suspended, closed or removed.</p>
<p>... rest of terms.</p>

I then modified the template - register_form - replaced:

Rich (BB code):
<dl class="ctrlUnit submitUnit">
<dt></dt>
<dd>

.. with ...

Rich (BB code):
<dt>Terms:</dt>
<dd>

... and then replaced ...

Rich (BB code):
<xen:if is="{$tosUrl}">
<ul>
<li>
<div class="text">{xen:phrase i_agree_to_terms_and_rules, 'checkbox=<input type="checkbox" name="agree" value="1" id="ctrl_agree" class="Disabler" />', 'terms_attributes=href="{$tosUrl}" target="_blank"'}</div>
<ul id="ctrl_agree_Disabler">
<li><input type="submit" value="{xen:phrase sign_up}" accesskey="s" class="button primary" id="SubmitButton" /> {xen:raw $timerHtml}</li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

... with ...

Rich (BB code):
<ul>
<li>
<div>{xen:phrase registration_terms}</div>
{xen:phrase i_agree_to_terms_and_rules, 'checkbox=<input type="checkbox" name="agree" value="1" id="ctrl_agree" class="Disabler" />', 'terms_attributes=href="{$tosUrl}" target="_blank"'}
<li><input type="submit" value="{xen:phrase sign_up}" accesskey="s" class="button primary" id="SubmitButton" /> {xen:raw $timerHtml}</li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

NB: You may need to play with this a bit to get it right. (y)

I created a new phrase - registration_terms - and added all the wording I wanted people to see when registering; including a section about user accounts:

Code:
<p>Terms stuff ...</p>
<p>To maintain a proper record of conversations the owner of this board does not delete user accounts. You agree that all material you submit will remain in the database and on display in the forums even if you later decide to leave the board or request that your user account is suspended, closed or removed.</p>
<p>... rest of terms.</p>

I then modified the template - register_form - replaced:

Rich (BB code):
<dt></dt>
<dd>

.. with ...

Rich (BB code):
<dt>Terms:</dt>
<dd>

... and then replaced ...

Rich (BB code):
<ul>
<li>
<div class="text">{xen:phrase i_agree_to_terms_and_rules, 'checkbox=<input type="checkbox" name="agree" value="1" id="ctrl_agree" class="Disabler" />', 'terms_attributes=href="{$tosUrl}" target="_blank"'}</div>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

... with ...

Rich (BB code):
<ul>
<li>
<div>{xen:phrase registration_terms}</div>
{xen:phrase i_agree_to_terms_and_rules, 'checkbox=<input type="checkbox" name="agree" value="1" id="ctrl_agree" class="Disabler" />', 'terms_attributes=href="{$tosUrl}" target="_blank"'}
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

NB: You may need to play with this a bit to get it right. (y)

Or go in the simple route

ACP-APPEARANCE-PHRASES- SEARCH terms_rules_text

and just edit all the extra stuff you want in and out then log out, click sign up and see if it worked. Worked for me :)

terms_rules_text

I'm not sure that's the right phrase to edit - I think that refers to your site "Terms and Rules" @ www.yoursite.com/help/terms

It may also be used on the registration page (I've modified all of mine to use my custom phrase so I can't be sure) but providing you make a backup of the phrase before changing it you should be okay. (y)

Personally I think renaming an account and changing the passwort is a bad idea as there is always the chance of users changing their mind at some point and want their accounts back. If they have no posts, no likes or anything they are basically stub accounts and can be deleted. If forum admins get requests from users to delete their accounts but don't want to, I suggest offering them just to close their accounts. Note I use the word close and not ban. Banning someone is generally seen as something negative and when people get banned as a result of a request your community always thinks the banned one in question did something bad and deserved a ban. A closed account however isn't necessarily seen as something bad. So I suggest making a new usergroup for closed accounts and put people who requested an account deletion in there. You can manage them easier this way and "closed" people can sleep better with the assurance of them knowing they are not part of the community anymore and weren't banned because they did something wrong. Plus they know they could always come back if they want to.

Top Bottom