How do you all plan to prevent pirating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some threads, but none of them really answered my question - Mike and Kier, how do you all plan to prevent pirating? Will you guys have something set up like vBulletin where customers can accuse users who they think may be using pirated software, or do you all have something else you may go about?

When anything new and good hits the shelf, it will be pirated. There is no reliable way to prevent or stop piracy outside of your country, at least in the cases the pirate(s) know what they are doing. I believe this problem lies at the payment model, and can be mitigated through some sort of small, recurring fee. In combination with some sort of license status check (on the xF website, usable only by staff), piracy and investigations would be reduced greatly.

I've never been a fan of the whole 'call home' feature I see in so much software lately, but I understand why it's being used. There is only so much somebody can do to prevent their hard work being pirated, but it's going to happen. I suspect that XenForo will follow similar methods to the way vB and IPB handle piracy.

The serious pirates arent worth the time or headache. The call home feature is useless as all nulled versions negate that. Its going to come down to a team of piracy finders to google and find xenforo installs and check if they're legit, and also people telling on each other. Same procedure as vbulletin. There is no magic cure, just being on top of it to keep it down to a small percentage Id think.

Its controversial, but I think a better solution to piracy would be to embed a backdoor that allows the code owner to bring down their server and wipe them out if they install an illegal download. Anyone saying thats not legal... well thats like defending the robber after he cuts himself on my window as he breaks in. lol

Its controversial, but I think a better solution to piracy would be to embed a backdoor that allows the code owner to bring down their server and wipe them out if they install an illegal download. Anyone saying thats not legal... well thats like defending the robber after he cuts himself on my window as he breaks in. lol

Not just controversial, but illegal in some countries.

Its controversial, but I think a better solution to piracy would be to embed a backdoor that allows the code owner to bring down their server and wipe them out if they install an illegal download.

Doing that would keep me, and many people, from ~ever~ using this software. You're talking to someone who has switched from PGP because Symantec bought them. And the fact that said backdoor would be exploited by hackers once discovered raises other significant security concerns. Backdoor's are a no-no, in my opinion.

To add, the call-home feature is a little stupid, but it can be effective in scenarios as this one. I think many people decide to buy domain names and such at odd times and calling somebody's house [without their consent] at 2 o'clock in the morning is a little screwed up.

Wow. Just no. It's not even a good idea on compiled desktop software, but on visible source web-accessible software? Yikes.

I suppose one method could be to create a function that works alongside the standard installation procedure (assuming you'd need to enter a license). If that code is removed (or commented) then it mails piracy@xenforo.com or something... Most of the time, people will just look at the install.php, look for the license input and remove it/comment it out. They don't think of scouring pages like functions.php and looking for other functions that run checks on the installation.

I was reading some threads, but none of them really answered my question - Mike and Kier, how do you all plan to prevent pirating? Will you guys have something set up like vBulletin where customers can accuse users who they think may be using pirated software, or do you all have something else you may go about?

Why is such a question being asked right now when the software isn't even out yet? It almost sounds like you want to pirate xenForo ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom