How do you all plan to prevent pirating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some threads, but none of them really answered my question - Mike and Kier, how do you all plan to prevent pirating? Will you guys have something set up like vBulletin where customers can accuse users who they think may be using pirated software, or do you all have something else you may go about?

I suppose one method could be to create a function that works alongside the standard installation procedure (assuming you'd need to enter a license). If that code is removed (or commented) then it mails piracy@xenforo.com or something... Most of the time, people will just look at the install.php, look for the license input and remove it/comment it out. They don't think of scouring pages like functions.php and looking for other functions that run checks on the installation.

I'm certain though that *somebody* will, and then it'll be public knowledge on *where to look*, and we're back at the beginning again. You can't stop, nor prevent, piracy. All you can do is put certain safeguards in position, and play *guilt trips* through-out, and literally ask them not to.

I suppose one method could be to create a function that works alongside the standard installation procedure (assuming you'd need to enter a license). If that code is removed (or commented) then it mails piracy@xenforo.com or something... Most of the time, people will just look at the install.php, look for the license input and remove it/comment it out. They don't think of scouring pages like functions.php and looking for other functions that run checks on the installation.

Trusting client-side code is pointless; this would largely be a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom