• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do i set a welcome text before username in navbar?

Heavy

Hi XenForo!

I have tried to do this for a while but have not succeeded, I want to put the "Welcome" in front of my name in the navigation bar! Exactly like vBulletin.
Mine:

How i want it to be:

Thanks in advance!
Heavy

Dylan V

Hi,

It's pretty easy to reproduce using the easiest method: use the pseudo-element :before.

Go to the templates of your style and search for "EXTRA.css". Now, add the following inside:
Code:
.accountUsername:before
{
    content: "Welcome, ";
    margin-right: 5px;
}
Screenshot_1.png

Dylan V

I've an alternative solution. Go to the templates of your style and search for "navigation_visitor_tab". Then, search this line of code:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link account}" class="navLink accountPopup NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu"><strong class="accountUsername">{$visitor.username}</strong>
and replace it with:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link account}" class="navLink accountPopup NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu"><strong class="accountUsername">Welcome, {$visitor.username}</strong>
It is strange that it does not work, but it is maybe because you have a custom style.

Dylan V

For people who want to reproduce this and who have this problem:

1e28ae0f2d4cf7c09345495f07f3f5a6.png

You must go in the "navigation.css" template and remove "max-width: 100px" in:
Code:
    .navTabs .navTab.account .navLink .accountUsername
    {
        display: block;
        max-width: 100px;
        overflow: hidden;
        text-overflow: ellipsis;
    }

Amaury

I've an alternative solution. Go to the templates of your style and search for "navigation_visitor_tab". Then, search this line of code:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link account}" class="navLink accountPopup NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu"><strong class="accountUsername">{$visitor.username}</strong>
and replace it with:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link account}" class="navLink accountPopup NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu"><strong class="accountUsername">Welcome, {$visitor.username}</strong>
It is strange that it does not work, but it is maybe because you have a custom style.
Optionally, you can make the welcome text be a phrase so it's not hard-coded.

Admin CP > Appearance > Phrases > Create New Phrase

Prefix it with your site name so you know it's custom and then add _welcome.

Dylan V

Optionally, you can make the welcome text be a phrase so it's not hard-coded.

Admin CP > Appearance > Phrases > Create New Phrase

Prefix it with your site name so you know it's custom and then add _welcome.
No, it's more easy for the user to do how I did, because people might want to put this modification only on their custom style and not on all styles. Your modification applies to all styles.

Dylan V

No, it doesn't, if you only call the custom phrase in the style you want it in.
I think anyway that it is easier to modify the code in the style for nothing lose by exporting the style, etc. It is better to do like I did, but it is an alternative solution.

It's solved now.