1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i set a welcome text before username in navbar?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Heavy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Heavy

Heavy Active Member

Hi XenForo!

I have tried to do this for a while but have not succeeded, I want to put the "Welcome" in front of my name in the navigation bar! Exactly like vBulletin.
    Mine: [​IMG]
    How i want it to be: [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!
    Heavy

2. Dylan V

Dylan V Well-Known Member

Hi,

It's pretty easy to reproduce using the easiest method: use the pseudo-element :before.

Go to the templates of your style and search for "EXTRA.css". Now, add the following inside:
    Code:
    .accountUsername:before
    {
        content: "Welcome, ";
        margin-right: 5px;
    }
    Screenshot_1.png

3. Heavy

Heavy Active Member

I have been adding the code to my extra.css, not working?

4. Dylan V

It works perfectly for me, strange. Can you give me the name of your site?

5. Dylan V

I've an alternative solution. Go to the templates of your style and search for "navigation_visitor_tab". Then, search this line of code:
    Code:
    <a href="{xen:link account}" class="navLink accountPopup NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu"><strong class="accountUsername">{$visitor.username}</strong>
    and replace it with:
    Code:
    <a href="{xen:link account}" class="navLink accountPopup NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu"><strong class="accountUsername">Welcome, {$visitor.username}</strong>
    It is strange that it does not work, but it is maybe because you have a custom style.

6. Heavy

Heavy Active Member

Dylan V likes this.
  7. Dylan V

For people who want to reproduce this and who have this problem:

1e28ae0f2d4cf7c09345495f07f3f5a6.png

You must go in the "navigation.css" template and remove "max-width: 100px" in:
    Code:
        .navTabs .navTab.account .navLink .accountUsername
        {
            display: block;
            max-width: 100px;
            overflow: hidden;
            text-overflow: ellipsis;
        }

teletubbi and Heavy like this.
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Optionally, you can make the welcome text be a phrase so it's not hard-coded.

Admin CP > Appearance > Phrases > Create New Phrase

Prefix it with your site name so you know it's custom and then add _welcome.

9. Dylan V

No, it's more easy for the user to do how I did, because people might want to put this modification only on their custom style and not on all styles. Your modification applies to all styles.

10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't, if you only call the custom phrase in the style you want it in.

11. Dylan V

I think anyway that it is easier to modify the code in the style for nothing lose by exporting the style, etc. It is better to do like I did, but it is an alternative solution.

It's solved now.

12. Brad P

Brad P Active Member

Nice work Dylan.

Heavy and Dylan V like this.