XF 1.4 How do I allow moderators to ban via moderator tools?

Jafo

How can I give super moderators the ability to ban via the moderator tools when viewing a profile? I can't seem to make this happen...

The moderator in question just has to have the option to ban. Or Moderator(s). Go to your moderator permissions and scroll down, there should be options to ban globally across moderators.

The moderator in question just has to have the option to ban. Or Moderator(s). Go to your moderator permissions and scroll down, there should be options to ban globally across moderators.

Well, that isn't working. If I test the permissions, it shows it, but if I actually log in as the moderator himself and try to do it on the same user, it does not show.

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Capture2.webp
    Capture2.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 20
How can I give super moderators the ability to ban via the moderator tools when viewing a profile? I can't seem to make this happen...
Use the "Warnings" functionality (ACP => Users => User Discipline - Warnings)

Create a new warning (the buttons are in the upper right) . For our example purposes, use "Instant Ban" for the "Title" of the warning. For the "Warning Points" use some really higher number like 5000 (you can always change it later as you get familiar with XF warnings). Save the new warning. Take note of the other options available to you on the screen.

Create a new warning action (again, buttons in the upper right). For the "Points Threshold" enter the same value, or slightly lower, then what you used for "Warning Points" when you created the new "Instant Ban" warning. For the "Action to take" select the "Ban" option. Take note of the other options available to you on the screen.

Now when your moderators give an "Instant Ban" warning the user will be banned.

Why not just give them the spam filter tool? You can ban right from there, it doesn't need to be a spammer, anyone can be banned using it. It's in moderator permissions. I would strongly recommend explaining to your staff how powerful this tool is before giving it to them.

spam-cleaner.png

Thanks everyone, I guess that is the route I will have to take. It seems to me that this feature (and most for that matter) should be delegated by perms. Oh well, this will work. Thanks again!

Moderators do not have the ability to ban, banning is restricted to administrators. This is indeed a permission.

When you test permissions, the system doesn't replace your permissions with those that you are testing, but apply them to your account.

Moderators do not have the ability to ban, banning is restricted to administrators. This is indeed a permission.

If it is restricted to Administrators, how is that a permission? A permission is something you give a group the right to do no? Well you cannot give this right to anyone, only administrators can have that. You can give a plethora of other rights to any other group, but not this one. It is inconsistent IMO.

There are administrator permissions that allow you to give certain administrative rights to users. There is no inconsistencies there.

Okay, then kindly show me where I can give the administrator permission to ban, to users of the Registered user group. (in the section I showed in post #3)

You can't. Administrator permissions are separate, and any user you wish to grant said permission needs to be promoted to an administrator in the system and granted the permission.

To create an administrator, add then via "Administrators" under the Users tab.

You can't. Administrator permissions are separate, and any user you wish to grant said permission needs to be promoted to an administrator in the system and granted the permission.

To create an administrator, add then via "Administrators" under the Users tab.

Ergo this is not a permission, rather it is a group right. If it were a permission, you could give it to anyone without having to change their group correct? That is the inconsistency. Besides, why is an admin tool in a moderators toolbox?

Anyway, I can't promote these moderators to admins, I just want to give them the ability to BAN people via the moderator tools. Fact of the matter is, the inconsistency doesn't allow me to give that perm away to moderators.

Thanks for your time.

Ergo this is not a permission, rather it is a group right. If it were a permission, you could give it to anyone without having to change their group correct? That is the inconsistency. Besides, why is an admin tool in a moderators toolbox?

Anyway, I can't promote these moderators to admins, I just want to give them the ability to BAN people via the moderator tools. Fact of the matter is, the inconsistency doesn't allow me to give that perm away to moderators.

Thanks for your time.
Read my post, no need to make mods admins, they dont need any control panel, they all can have access to ban a user, not difficult at all.

Read my post, no need to make mods admins,

I understand your post, and I have actually done that. Seems like there shouldn't be the need to jump through those hoops though. Besides, if a user does not meet the spam cleaner criteria, the ban option isn't there.

Thanks for your time.
No, a permission, by definition, is giving the authorization to do something. All of the moderating actions are contained within the front end and can focus on individual forums as well as globally to the entire forum. Therefore, they are intermixed into the permissions system you are believing.

Administrative permissions are managed and performed via the admin control panel. Banning & editing a user are performed within the administrative control panel. As such, it has a different set of permissions, of which, you do not need to change their user group. My site personally has 3 administrators that have various permissions assigned to them (all related to users), but none are members of the administrative user group. The only "inconsistency" I can think of is that a link to the administrator control panel is contained within the moderator tools drop down (of which it used to be links, IIRC).

I understand your post, and I have actually done that. Seems like there shouldn't be the need to jump through those hoops though. Besides, if a user does not meet the spam cleaner criteria, the ban option isn't there.
Go into the control panel under option and adjust your user criteria to your liking. Once you get the feel of Xenforo you will see that it is built correctly to handle all of your concerns, it just takes time to learn.

No, a permission, by definition, is giving the authorization to do something. All of the moderating actions are contained within the front end and can focus on individual forums as well as globally to the entire forum. Therefore, they are intermixed into the permissions system you are believing.

Administrative permissions are managed and performed via the admin control panel. Banning & editing a user are performed within the administrative control panel. As such, it has a different set of permissions, of which, you do not need to change their user group. My site personally has 3 administrators that have various permissions assigned to them (all related to users), but none are members of the administrative user group. The only "inconsistency" I can think of is that a link to the administrator control panel is contained within the moderator tools drop down (of which it used to be links, IIRC).
How do you assign administrator permissions to a specific user without adding them to the admin group? I dont see anywhere that can be accomplished?

Edit: I see what you mean but that seems sloppy to me.

When you add them as an administrator in the ACP, you can decide if you want to add them to a user group. You do not have to select one, but may add them to any amount of secondary user groups.

Top Bottom