1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I connect Securely from FIleZilla?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kaiser, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

How can I securely connect to my host through filezilla so that my password is safe and isnt given out? I use my filezilla normally and now I hear of this so I am worried, so any help on how to connect securely?

2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

sftp?

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Hold up im going to take a screen shot of how I am connecting, It should be secure.

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Connect with
    sftp://yoursite.com instead of ftp, into the secure port which by default it port 22, instead of port 21.

I believe there are other ways of connecting securely, but that seems the easiest to me.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    And yea the port is 22 when it connects, so now that this is secure, do I still have to worry about hackers getting my pass from the old connections? Is my pass still out there then, or will this secure encrypted pass overwrite the old one?

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I am not a security expert, so hopefully someone else who is can give input. But I believe there is either a connection, or there is not a connection. There are no old connections. But you may be referring to your computers web browser history. If so I do not believe that could be easily obtained using a secure connection.

But I am hopeful more information will be forthcoming.

Terrorz likes this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Ahh ok, thanks for the help though Dean.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Your FTP password is saved on the server.
    It is only transmitted from your PC when you connect via a client such as FileZilla.

So your password can realistically only be obtained by someone hacking the server, your PC or capturing the outgoing data at the time the connection is made.

Terrorz likes this.
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Oh, so if my sever/host is secure, I dont have to worry about it then right?

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much.

11. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

This is the part most insecure and why SFTP is most recommended.

12. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

dont forget about gumblar...
    gumblar was responsible for the rash of vb 'hacks' back about 18 months ago. 'save passwd' in filezilla was the cause of much of the problem.