Implemented  hover over topic title shows part of the first post

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
But using AJAX would help you avoid the extra overhead of pulling the data, parsing the bbcode, and generating the tooltip text, for *all* first posts in the list of threads ahead of time, plus the bandwidth to send it to the browser.

I was talking from the end user perspective. AJAX tooltip will always be slow comparing to the prefetched tooltip.

I should point out that the current tooltips on the forum home aren't actually AJAX - the data is already in the DOM, it's just being displayed using jQuery. :)

@Forsaken, @Eriksrocks: I know the difference between AJAX and DHTML. This forum doesn't use AJAX tooltips. Enigma is advocating for the AJAX tooltips and I'm opposing that from the end user experience.

@Forsaken, @Eriksrocks: I know the difference between AJAX and DHTML. This forum doesn't use AJAX tooltips. Enigma is advocating for the AJAX tooltips and I'm opposing that from the end user experience.

All rollover tooltips, that are not default, or in the RTE are AJAX.

I never really cared of the preview of threads so I wouldn't care if that feature got to this software or not but I guess it can be handy for thoose who are used to check that.

Alright, I don't like pointless bumping much, but I really do miss this feature. I keep on trying to read the first post and end up reading the same tool tip yet again. :(

Options, options, options. People always want options...
I personally think it should just be standard, with no option. Everybody always resorts to, "well then make it an option and make everybody happy!" when, at the end of the day, you'd have dozens of options, both in the AdminCP and the UserCP. We don't need a bazillion buttons, levers, choices, knobs, and gadgets; we're not flying an aircraft here. We're using a forum. Keep it as simple as it should be.

I personally think it should just be standard, with no option. Everybody always resorts to, "well then make it an option and make everybody happy!" when, at the end of the day, you'd have dozens of options, both in the AdminCP and the UserCP. We don't need a bazillion buttons, levers, choices, knobs, and gadgets; we're not flying an aircraft here. We're using a forum. Keep it as simple as it should be.
Ordinarily I agree, but in this case it needs an option as (in vB certainly) it creates a bit of a strain on some servers and you need the ability to turn it off.

That said I don't know XenForo's architecture so it might not be an issue.

And keeping it simple does NOT include adding unessential features.
You want to read a topic? Then open it and read the complete first post, not just a few characters.
A few characters? It's more like a few short sentences. You can fit 20-25 words in the tooltip (at least that's how it is in vBulletin. In IP.Board, much more fits).

This isn't an essential feature, but it's not exactly nonessential either. When I'm scanning a list of threads (whether it be within a particular forum or on the What's New page), the title isn't always enough for me to decide whether I'm interested in the thread or not. If the thread preview was there, it would greatly help to make that decision. Without it, I spend waste more time opening and closing threads/tabs than I need to, since I'm blindly going into the discussion thread.

This feature is so requested that even IP.Board had to add it after several years of not having it (link).

Top Bottom