Hosting ??

ExpertPixels.com

Hey all,

Wondering about what hosting co to go with for a average VPS to run a few projects from.. Not looking for a bunch of affiliate links to dodgy reviews.. Just after some ideas / suggestions if anyone can spare a few moments to share their thoughts in terms of what hosting they use.

I am trying to get a handful of solid projects going.. but as it stands i only have one small scale project as it stands now.. I can always move /upgrade later on.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Regards, Darren

I use Site5, a shared hosting plan, but I believe they offer VPS. Been using them for years, never had any issues with them.

Hey all,

Wondering about what hosting co to go with for a average VPS to run a few projects from.. Not looking for a bunch of affiliate links to dodgy reviews.. Just after some ideas / suggestions if anyone can spare a few moments to share their thoughts in terms of what hosting they use.

I am trying to get a handful of solid projects going.. but as it stands i only have one small scale project as it stands now.. I can always move /upgrade later on.

Regards, Darren

Soft Layer is good, but costly.

linode I have mixed thought on. I think they're growing to the point where their quality isn't staying as high as their reputation would have you believe. But overall, I think it maybe worth a look into

We went with I think... style networks on my phone so don't have the URL however their support has been awesome so far, nice guys to work with and a decent price. I could of sworn someone posted an extremely cheap dedicated server offer somewhere on here recently too if you wanted to take the first unmanaged route

Thanks all, specially like the looks of what Russ said.. style x networks seem to have nice packages within a decent price bracket.

I have used Fluccs (pronounced "flux") in Brisbane for years now. Co-location, VPS, Cloud, dedicated, etc. Very competitive pricing. Have locations in most Eastern states.

http://servercomplete.com/dedicated is the one that has been going around here. Their Dual L5520 has been selling for $55/month or something like that.

Yep... and that's for a full on unmanaged dedicated server. The only problem is that their supplier does not have access to RAID cards for them (but I found the cards for $199 online and they will install it for you if you ship it to them). Since I'm not using hardware RAID right now it hasn't been important for me on any of the 3 servers I've gotten from them. My next project IS to get one of the cards and then start adding as large of SSD's (enterprise quality) in that I can and then once I get 5 (one for a spare to ship) I'll ship to them to install on my "test" server and then move stuff over to it.
For a VPS solution I've also been REAL happy with RamNode. Their base prices are good and if you get the code from WHT then you can knock 30% off for the life of the service (and it carries across to upgrades also). Their support has also been top-notch, but realize they are an unmanaged VPS solution so knowledge of system administration is required.

Last edited:
Cheers gentlemen & ladies if any :) I must admit i thought i had opened a can of works with this thread you know what i mean most times you mention "hosting" you get 10+ pm's from backyard hosting companies / people just running reseller hosting.

Good to see there are some options out there, ive always used hostgator and for the most part the have been pretty solid in terms of support, I almost jumped into a HG VPS but even with a 45% discount for the first bill that was going to be $165 and then $300+ for each 6+ months after that.

Regards, Darren

Cheers gentlemen & ladies if any :) I must admit i thought i had opened a can of works with this thread you know what i mean most times you mention "hosting" you get 10+ pm's from backyard hosting companies / people just running reseller hosting.

You'll find that overall there's a great group of guys and gals here. That's one of the things that quickly swung me into the camp - and that was during the LS days. :whistle:

Good to see there are some options out there, ive always used hostgator and for the most part the have been pretty solid in terms of support, I almost jumped into a HG VPS but even with a 45% discount for the first bill that was going to be $165 and then $300+ for each 6+ months after that.
Regards, Darren

I started out with a shared hosting with HG. Support was great, but there were things I was wanting to do that you had to go VPS or dedicated for - and as you found, HG is WAY to expensive for what you get. @Ghan_04 turned me onto a deal at WHT that gave you 30% off on RamNode and off I went. Started with a 512MB plan - 2 weeks later decided to upgrade to the 1GB plan and then 1 week later upgraded to a 2GB plan and prepaid for a year. About a month after that thanks (or should that be no thanks - since he cost me MORE $$$!:ROFLMAO:) to @Mike Edge (and also WHT) I discovered ServerComplete's deal. I ended up getting 3 of them (and still have about 9 months or so on the VPS). Didn't need the 3rd dedicated but figured at that price I couldn't pass it up - I could always figure out something to do with it. ;)
Oh... did I mention that 1 forum has 8 users (only about 3 active) and the other 1 user besides me and each runs on it's own server. Think I got more hardware than I need - but just call me Tim "The Toolman" Taylor.

BTW, here is the link to the coupon in case you just want to peruse it. I'm in no way associated with them, just a happy customer (fantastic support the few times I need it from Nick). I would also recommend spending some time at WHT and reading the reviews and offers over there. For the 2GB plan, I'm paying just a little more than what HG quoted you for 6 months.

Last edited:
people just running reseller hosting.

If you do decide to go the shared route. Just so you know we aren't one of those reseller hosts :) We use our own dedicated servers, all server host names use xxx.xfhost.net (so you know indeed the servers are ours) and we currently host over 100 xenForo communities via our shared hosting packages :)

Btw, I guess hostname can be set even on VPS.

Yeap of course, but my point was they are our servers, not just using some reseller account to offer our shared solutions. Which if we were doing it via reseller, it would be some weird private labeled hostname, not our own domain.

Reactions: rdn

Regards, Darren

Hostgator, aside from being ridiculously expensive for what you get, is now owned by EIG. They are known for basically buying out large, profitable hosts, and running them into the ground. You would be better off going with just about anybody...well except maybe GoDaddy. :LOL:

I remember using HostGator and other American hosting companies like HostDime, but one thing I love about an Aussie hosting company is that they keep the same hours and are available on phone support and they are friendly Aussies and not stuffy Americans like when I had to call HostGator one time.

Hey all,

Regards, Darren

Bigscoots.com is a good company for VPS.
I like the fact that they definitely go above and beyond for their clients and can even work out custom packages to try and fit your needs.

I use them and Wiredtree but wiredtree is more expensive(But offers phone support 24/7)

Reactions: rdn
Top Bottom