Hosting your own mail?

AppleAndMango

Does anyone here host your own email? If so what are your pro's and cons of doing so?

I've had an email server setup for awhile, never really thought about migrating from my outlook account to my own private email server till now.

I do, always have.

Pros - You have complete control over who can access the mail accounts. For example, I have my server locked down to a single IP address that can access the mail system. So, nobody but me is going to send mail from my server.

Cons - If you don't have the server setup properly you can run into mail being rejected by recipient systems. Be sure to have the server host name set properly, the reverse DNS MX record set properly and if possible activate spf, DKIM and DMARC on the server to lessen the likelihood of mail being rejected.

And if you're running it off of a residential connection, you will most likely have problems with people receiving mail simply because you can't set the reverse DNS (or even have it changed).

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

What would you say in terms of security? I mean... Outlook's email client vs Roundcube?

I have a server hosted with DigitalOcean, I'm pretty capable of setting everything up correctly.

Curious to see what others think about hosting their own email.

By hosting your own email, I'm literally meaning your personal email. I have mailgun setup for forum email.

I don't use web based email clients. Never have, never will and don't allow them on the sites I host on my servers. So I can't speak to security of them. But think about it, if it's web based it can be hacked or compromised.

Top Bottom