Hosting Recommendations ?

I've been in the hosting industry for a good few years, and have run many (what you might call) successful hosts, which to this day still are around and have a good name. I sold up last year to focus on my forums.

I've come to have a santa-style 'good and bad' list :p The bad list is huge, and includes all the hosts such as hostgator, godaddy, bluehost, dreamhost, midphase, site5 the list goes on.

Just remember NEVER EVER trust ANY hosting review site. Why? Because its listing hosts based on how much they pay out for a referral...

Personally, I recommend (and these are from at least 1+ year of usage experience)

- Clook.net
- FutureHosting.com
- KnownHost.com
- JaguarPC
- ResellerZoom/HostingZoom (Owned by JaguarPC)
- Steadfast Networks
- HostDime

Oh, and dont be one of those fools who sign up for 'unlimited' hosting. It doesn't exist.

I know a lot of people have given their recommendations, but I felt I had to give mine. I have been using Webfaction for about a month now after a web designer friend recommended it to me. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the company, not only is their hosting spot on, but their customer service is ace as well.

What I like about them the most is their flexibility, it is basically a shared hosting service, but they don't overload the servers and give you a memory limit like you would with a vps. You can run pretty much anything you want on their hosting as long as it doesn't run too large. Though php/apache/mysql don't count in your memory limits since they run server wide versions. If you want to run your own version of each you can.

I am not affiliated with them other than being a customer. I recommend you check them out.

For the past year or so I've been with nearlyfreespeech.net - it's been doing what I need, and it's nice to only pay for the bandwidth that you actually use. But since they don't let you enable php safe mode, I wouldn't be able to run Xenforo without switching. Does anyone have recommendations for a new host?

It's important that I'm able to run multiple sites/domains, and I wouldn't want to spend more than $20/month, preferably less. I've been looking at Media Temple's grid-service as an option, though I've heard mixed things about it.

Thanks! :)

I know a lot of people have given their recommendations, but I felt I had to give mine. I have been using Webfaction for about a month now after a web designer friend recommended it to me. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the company, not only is their hosting spot on, but their customer service is ace as well..

I concur with this. WebFaction have been excellent since I moved to them and their support is very good.

I use SharkSpace, and I've had no problems with them. Their servers are very fast, and I can get tech support 24 hours a day. (Usually with a response in under an hour.) Coming from 1&1, their service is outstanding in comparison.

Dont forget http://www.pair.com they are not among the cheapest but they are among the most reliable and respected host. They were hosting Obama Campain site during the entire campgain

no one mentionned gigenet.com :confused:
Steven from rack911.com who happens to be one of the best system admins out there recommend it all the time.
they also have a cloud division gigenetcloud.com

I managed dedicated servers from gigenet, liquidweb, wiredtree, the planet, softlayer, singlehop, hivelocity, etc..
Gigenet is my favorite

I'd personally recommend HostGator.com. I've used them for the past three years, and have never had an issue. They also have great prices, and probably the best support around.

Care full with Hostgator. They may offer Unlimited storage and bandwidth, however if your site uses a certain CPU usage, they'll suspend your site.
For hosting, I recommend either Dreamhost or MediaTemple. I've had dealings with both and never been anything but very satisfied.
You want to stay away from businesses that lie, right? So avoid scams like "unlimited hard drive space" or "unlimited transfer". I've never seen an 'unlimited hard drive', or an 'unlimited network' (most cap @ 10 or 100m/s). This is just the latest scam in the hosting industry.

Find yourself a decent webhost that doesn't massively oversell (steadfast, as listed is really good, webfaction looks good based on plans, pair.com looks good, though a bit overpriced, liquid web is another great one). Avoid scams like "unlimited hard drive space", "unlimited transfer", or even "1 TB transfer for $10". These are all scams to get your cash. Unfortunately , most fall for them

You'll get a much better service paying what you need for than with these kind of oversold unlimited disk/transfer. Also, page loading speed is now a ranking factor for Google.

It's also very useful to check the ping from your (and your visitors) location.

I don't mean to bump an older topic, however I've been looking at that A Small Orange hosting and it looks pretty good. I've got a site with about 10k members and 35k posts. It's starting to pick up more activity and I wanted to get a more reliable host that would also be nice and fluid. Would there Small hosting be good for what I'm looking for? I don't really have a lot of donations coming in as of yet.

I don't mean to bump an older topic, however I've been looking at that A Small Orange hosting and it looks pretty good. I've got a site with about 10k members and 35k posts. It's starting to pick up more activity and I wanted to get a more reliable host that would also be nice and fluid. Would there Small hosting be good for what I'm looking for? I don't really have a lot of donations coming in as of yet.
You'd have to figure out how much disk space your site takes up (attachments and such), as well as how much bandwidth you use a month. Once you have that, you can figure out which package you'll need.

I've used and recommend Site5 for several years now. Fairly cheap and very reliable, never had any issues whatsoever with them.

Top Bottom