Hosting Recommendations for 2018?

BobHarbison

It's time for me to move to a new hosting provider. I'm looking for recommendations for hosting companies that people are happy with currently. Looking for good service and a fair price.

Also, any input on whether to go VPS or Dedicated would be appreciated. I have 4 forums and about 10 other websites, most with fairly low traffic.

What location are you looking for? Europe?
I would go for a VPS, it's much more flexible.
You can just start with a small server, and as your site grows, you can easily upgrade on the fly.
It's also very convenient to make snapshot backups. And if the host's hardware fails, your server will be migrated to another host.

I will never go back to those dedicated servers again, but I'm sure there are still people out there that stick to dedicated :)

What location are you looking for? Europe?
I would go for a VPS, it's much more flexible.
You can just start with a small server, and as your site grows, you can easily upgrade on the fly.
It's also very convenient to make snapshot backups. And if the host's hardware fails, your server will be migrated to another host.

I will never go back to those dedicated servers again, but I'm sure there are still people out there that stick to dedicated :)
This is only true up to a point. If you need a very large server, a VPS isn't going to cut it at the price/performance range that a dedicated server can provide.

Not to mention, if you end up needing a server cluster (even if it's as simple as a database server), you probably don't want to use a VPS. You want two servers, in the same location, where you can create a private network so that your web server can access the DB server at 192.168.0.XXX. If you didn't do that, you would be suffering the ~100ms latency of having to transfer the data over the internet.

But for the vast majority of sites that don't have hundreds of concurrent visitors, a VPS is probably fine. It's certainly better than shared hosts, because you have dedicated CPU time and dedicated RAM allocated to your site and your site alone.

Fillip

Not to mention, if you end up needing a server cluster (even if it's as simple as a database server), you probably don't want to use a VPS. You want two servers, in the same location, where you can create a private network so that your web server can access the DB server at 192.168.0.XXX. If you didn't do that, you would be suffering the ~100ms latency of having to transfer the data over the internet.
That should not be a problem anymore. I can get 2 VPS's and add a low latency private network to it. You just need a good VPS provider that supports it.

OK, a bit more detail. Currently hosting with PEER 1. Have four forums, two of which have enough traffic to worry about. Maybe 100 concurrent users, if that. (It says 200 when you check the stats, but they show active when they're no longer active for a while).
Data of all sites combined is about 500 gigs. Bandwidth is currently 1/4 TB per month, expect it to increase.
As for location, most of my traffic is US based, so US or Canada. It's not like I'm ever going to visit the server. I upgraded at Peer 1, thought my server was still in Atlanta and found out about a year later it's in Miami, LOL.

Ah ok, the location it's not about visiting your server :) but if you are US based you probably are not looking for a hosting provider in the Netherlands (I would recommend TransIP ) or Germany (Hetzner cloud!).

So far, looks like VPS plans don't handle 500 gigs of data, so maybe I'm stuck with dedicated.
? Not over here, can have a VPS with 5TB or unlimited for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
It's time for me to move to a new hosting provider. I'm looking for recommendations for hosting companies that people are happy with currently. Looking for good service and a fair price.

Also, any input on whether to go VPS or Dedicated would be appreciated. I have 4 forums and about 10 other websites, most with fairly low traffic.
Hi Bob,

We offer web hosting @HotRodCarts will be happy to share his testimonial with you :)

No complaints here with TODO10's hosting. I have two XF forums hosted with them and both run flawlessly. Super fast servers and fantastic uptime.

So far, looks like VPS plans don't handle 500 gigs of data, so maybe I'm stuck with dedicated.

Just thinking. Is the 500 GB of data you're referring to disk space? Is so, then a dedicated server is almost definitely going to be the right option. 500 GB of disk space is a lot for a VPS, unless you get into Storage VPSs, which are not designed for everyday site usage. This is especially true considering most decent providers are going to be using SSD drives these days, which are going to offer less capacity overall on the servers.

Is the 500 GB of data you're referring to disk space?

No, unfortunately it's data, I've got 1 TB of disk space. That said, the real number is probably 400 gb. I just migrated my photography forum over to Xenforo from VB and Photopost. I'm pretty sure I have two sets of photos now, the data that PP used and the new location that XFMG uses. I also have a few old databases laying around from when I upgraded from VB, left as a fallback contingency.
Still, I've got a massive amount of data. My oldest and largest site has been online since 2004. That's a helluva lot of train photos. :)

Top Bottom