Home page concept for my website

cedivad

I just did it and i tough that maybe some folks here might find it useful, this should replace the default xenforo homepage on my website, once that it's released.

Schermata 2010-09-19 a 11.49.55.webp

"Software" is mouse-hover selected.

How does removing something make it less boring? I don't think it's bad, something just isn't clicking for me though. Perhaps the overly spaced out rounded rectangles.

I think its just too plain. It wasn't the content or the way it is just the way it is styled. Not to my particular tastes. Looks a bit old and dated now to me.

I just guessed :D
Maybe removing some color redundancy made it better :r

However thank you to for the feedback, I will retry to organize it better =)

Its not the organisation that I feel is the problems. Its the lack of colour. It is far "too" white right now.

Yeah, I agree with Lee. It's just dull to look at and if potential users get bored looking at your site they won't continue on it - it has to be appealing.

I think it (the first one) looks very good! I prefer simple and easy to read interfaces which is why I like XenForo in the first place, your version adds some nice graphics to it.

I think its just too plain. It wasn't the content or the way it is just the way it is styled. Not to my particular tastes. Looks a bit old and dated now to me.

Would have to agree, kind of reminds me of those url parking places. What's the site actually about, looks to be a computer shop to be honest.

Kind of hard to say without having the impact of everything else around it. I would add some colour and thickness to the borders. Make them a bit more graphical. If it was just that on a white page - sure, the load time would be < 1s, but I'd happily sacrifice another second or so to get something nice and visual ;)

It's hard to say without knowing if this is the entire of your page concept, or just one component.. I like the images and there is some good things about it, but as others have said it is too plain.

I don't like the boxing in at all, not sure if it is necessary.. a softer seperator would work better, and what does the rest of the page look like? is there a nice header? Side borders?

Actually I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of knocking up what I was talking about...

mock_up.webp

Even if you are after a perfectly plain white page, you can add some more colour and interest to it I am sure :)

Your homepage is your forum, and you want to tweak the forum to look more like a homepage, is that correct?

I wouldn't make your homepage your forum tbh. Also I think a forum doesn't need images to explain the categories. And on a homepage I would rather show interesting articles, news and such. If you use this for your homepage it's likely that people are not going to be staying long to check out the rest of the site.

Quite honestly I think your first attempt was quite good for what you are trying to achieve, taking into account that the page would obviously have a header and footer which can brighten it... my only suggestion to the initial design would be to change the right side content of each field, which I assume is going to be something like the last post. Something like a mini users avatar, thread title and then description under it all would immediately change how each of those fields looks.

I actually disagree with dragonfly's approach... that old dropped content approach is old and boring... if you want to highlight a content area, use border shadows, not old style images that remind me of some cruddy hyper marketing page in 760px with sell, sell, sell. YUK!

Your on the money for clean already IMHO... which I think is what you want. Maybe frame it with shadows to give it more depth, without cluttering your point... or one solid container so it looks as though its coming out by using a drop shadow, ie: http://demo.rockettheme.com/jul10/ the main content area of that type design... being its lifted above the header and footer and denoted by CSS shadowing.

I actually disagree with dragonfly's approach... that old dropped content approach is old and boring... if you want to highlight a content area, use border shadows, not old style images that remind me of some cruddy hyper marketing page in 760px with sell, sell, sell. YUK!

Wow.. proof you can't please everyone even when trying to help someone else. The image I uploaded was merely an example of what I had talked about, the removal of the heavy un-necessary rounded boxes and to add some further visual interest, I wasn't suggesting that cedivad use that exact design, it was an indication of what might be done to add interest to the page that 8 people had said was boring.. as it happens the images in my quick example would be extremely lightweight, and can be fully xhtml, not sure what is old or boring about it, and it certainly isn't 760px either it could be fluid or whatever width the author wanted... but hey each to their own, one persons YUK is another's tasty treat.

For what it's worth cedivad, I think css border shadows look pretty ordinary, I have yet to see a good example anywhere, imho it is Web3 gone nuts to renounce a lightweight image of a few bytes in favour of a heavy and ugly standard effect just for the sake of it, I predict it will be the single most overused CSS effect of the next year or two. For the record the example page listed by Anthony Parsons uses a lightweight image not a CSS effect.

But like I said, the whole point of my example was merely a visual suggestion of how you might lighten the borders around the content, I don't need to be insulted for offering an opinion, so I shall withdrawn from this conversation.

Top Bottom