Home page concept for my website

Your homepage is your forum, and you want to tweak the forum to look more like a homepage, is that correct?

I wouldn't make your homepage your forum tbh. Also I think a forum doesn't need images to explain the categories. And on a homepage I would rather show interesting articles, news and such. If you use this for your homepage it's likely that people are not going to be staying long to check out the rest of the site.
The name of the domain is "techforum". So it's only a tecnology forum. If you look at it right now (techforum.it) you will see everthing except the forum. The website is way to confusing and the standart user, once in, worry only about how to excape as soon as possibile. Really, it's tooo confused.
Then yes, my homepage will be the forum page but no, i don't want to make it looks an homepage. I want it to be only a gateway to find as soon and as simply as possible interesting forum content.
I'm in the process of acquiring other domains (techNEWS.it techVIDEO.it and so on) and i will be using it for serving other kind of content. The lateral bar, actually in the home page of the forum, will serve to show the lastest from the "network" to the users. Lastest news, howto, video, from the marketplace, etc.
But that will be the future. As of now i just want a working forum based on xf, and i hope to gain this result fast, being helped by that not-user-confusing homepage.

=)

But like I said, the whole point of my example was merely a visual suggestion of how you might lighten the borders around the content, I don't need to be insulted for offering an opinion, so I shall withdrawn from this conversation.
I want to say that i liked your Concept. Removing the rounded borders and replacing that stuff with a simple <hr> is better, i agree. More clean, too ;)
Im quite sure i will use it!

I also want to say thank you to everyone on this topic that expressed their toughs - they are really important to me =)

It's hard to say without knowing if this is the entire of your page concept, or just one component.. I like the images and there is some good things about it, but as others have said it is too plain.

I don't like the boxing in at all, not sure if it is necessary.. a softer seperator would work better, and what does the rest of the page look like? is there a nice header? Side borders?

Actually I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of knocking up what I was talking about...

View attachment 2166

Even if you are after a perfectly plain white page, you can add some more colour and interest to it I am sure :)

preview img looks great :) less plain and more thought through. good example.

Wow.. proof you can't please everyone even when trying to help someone else.
Hey Dragonfly... it wasn't personal, so please don't take it that way. It was purely my opinion based on above work provided... there is no right or wrong in opinions, which is why they are opinions. Again... please don't take it personally, as it was not personal from my end. I apologise if I offended you... as that was not my intent.

I just did it and i tough that maybe some folks here might find it useful, this should replace the default xenforo homepage on my website, once that it's released.

View attachment 2119

"Software" is mouse-hover selected.

I think this should replace your Forum Home Page, not the Home Page !!
ie. when you click on the Forums Tab ... this should be the Page vs. the Default Forum Home (Page).
Benefits: all the forums fit on one screen !

Top Bottom