Fixed Hiding quotes of ignored users completely can cause confusion

Steffen

Affected version
Consider the following thread (I've obviously made-up this example for demo purposes):

Screenshot from 2019-06-28 09-46-35.webp

It is immediately obvious that Bob has replied to Steffen-Test (not to Joe).

Now consider what the thread looks like for a visitor who ignores the user "Steffen-Test":

Screenshot from 2019-06-28 09-46-54.webp

For a visitor who ignores Steffen-Test, it looks like Bob is replying to Joe which obviously is confusing. (The tiny "Show ignored content" hint at the bottom right can be easily overlooked.)

Could XenForo show a placeholder "Quote by ignored user {username}" instead of hiding quotes of ignored users completely?

This issue was originally reported here (in german): https://www.computerbase.de/forum/t...r-das-neue-forum-ist-da.1853959/post-22808873

Do you have a modified or outdated post_macros template? The Steffen-Test post should look like this:

1562277277859.webp

In your screenshot it is entirely missing.

In a similar vein to how it should look there, I've tried to come up with something that is similarly clear, and consistent with as few changes as possible.

So if I quote the above post by the ignored user, it should look like:

1562277434870.webp

If that works for people, we'll go with that.

Do you have a modified or outdated post_macros template? The Steffen-Test post should look like this:

1562277277859.png

In your screenshot it is entirely missing.
It only looks like that for me after clicking the gray "Show ignored content" button at the bottom of the thread view. Initially, posts by ignored users are completely invisible (like in my screenshot). I've just tested this here on XenForo.com by temporarily ignoring a user. :confused:

In a similar vein to how it should look there, I've tried to come up with something that is similarly clear, and consistent with as few changes as possible.

So if I quote the above post by the ignored user, it should look like:

1562277434870.png

If that works for people, we'll go with that.
That's great, thank you! :)

It only looks like that for me after clicking the gray "Show ignored content" button at the bottom of the thread view. Initially, posts by ignored users are completely invisible (like in my screenshot). I've just tested this here on XenForo.com by temporarily ignoring a user. :confused:
I... swear... that wasn't behaving like that for me less than 12 hours ago. Now it is though so I'm just confused 🤷‍♂️

I guess we'll leave that behaviour alone though (posts entirely invisible) but move to the new approach with the quotes.

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has now been resolved and we are aiming to include it in a future XF release (2.1.3).

Change log:
Attempt to make post quotes by ignored users clearer.
Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

I... swear... that wasn't behaving like that for me less than 12 hours ago. Now it is though so I'm just confused 🤷‍♂️

I guess we'll leave that behaviour alone though (posts entirely invisible) but move to the new approach with the quotes.
Is there any way for the posts that quote ignored content to also be ignored?

Top Bottom