Lack of interest Collapse posts of ignored users instead of hiding them completely

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Steffen

At the moment, if you ignore someone in XenForo then posts by that user are completely invisible to you. In our forum it was suggested that posts by ignored users shouldn't be completely invisible but instead be displayed in a collapsed state (maybe like soft-deleted posts are shown to moderators?).

An example thread similar in spirit to the following was given:

User A: "2 + 2 equals 4".
User B: "No, 2 + 2 equals 5!"
User C: "What you're saying doesn't make any sense!"

If user A ignores user B then this thread looks like this to him:

User A: "2 + 2 equals 4".
User C: "What you're saying doesn't make any sense."

Obviously, user A now thinks that user C is referring to his post. This issue wouldn't exist if user A was aware that there is a post in between by an ignored user.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There is a "show all" button in the bottom right corner of the last post. However, an indicator would be useful.
I could swear that there was something like this in XF.

Last edited:
Um, I've just ignored someone here on XenForo.com and saw their posts in a collapsed state. So maybe this is an issue with our board / settings / modifications. I'll have to take a deeper look.

Knew it! I don't see a system behind that. I've now tried ignoring posts in threads where I've interacted, posts from members with the same rank as you , etc. No consistency found. I do see the indicator for your posts, but not for others (or if, then it appears to be random).

Edit: That looks funny though:
28965798227_a40ba71119_o.png
Imho this sounds like a bug.

It seems like posts by ignored users are temporarily "un-ignored" if the URL fragment in your browser's address bar (i.e. #post-123) matches their post id. I guess this was implemented in order to make direct links to ignored posts work.

I think this is rather confusing and it might be better to just show posts by ignored users in a collapsed state.

Looks like this can be achieved via a simple template edit of post_macros

Change <article class="message message--post js-post js-inlineModContainer {{ $isIgnored ? 'is-ignored' : '' }} {{ $post.isUnread() ? ' is-unread' : '' }}"
to
<article class="message message--post js-post js-inlineModContainer {{ $post.isUnread() ? ' is-unread' : '' }}"

This way posts from ignored users just look like in screenshot from "S Thomas".

Removing the "Show ignored content" at the bottom of the page seems a bit complicated. Have not found the template yet where that is set.

-Markus

Top Bottom