• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

hide status update editor on own profile

dieketzer

i was becoming increasingly annoyed with profile comments being confused with status updates and having things like 'youre welcome' and 'lol i agree' showing up in the activity feeds as status updates.

this template modification will hide the status update editor from people when viewing their own profile page. this forces them to use 'comment' and actually reply to comments properly. they can still post status updates using the control panel drop-down and from 'your account'.

thanks to jake for helping out with the conditional. i figured id post this here for the benefit of others.

in template member_view
change the first line of this code:
PHP:
<xen:if is="{$canPostOnProfile}">
                    <form action="{xen:link members/post, $user}" method="post"
                        class="messageSimple profilePoster AutoValidator primaryContent" id="ProfilePoster"
                        data-optInOut="optIn">
                        <xen:avatar user="$visitor" size="s" />
                        <div class="messageInfo">
                            <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} == {$user.user_id}">
                                <textarea name="message" class="textCtrl StatusEditor Elastic" placeholder="{xen:phrase update_your_status}..." rows="3" cols="50" data-statusEditorCounter="#statusEditorCounter"></textarea>
                            <xen:else />
                                <textarea name="message" class="textCtrl Elastic" placeholder="{xen:phrase write_something}..." rows="3" cols="50"></textarea>
                            </xen:if>

like so:
PHP:
<xen:if is="{$canPostOnProfile} AND {$visitor.user_id} != {$user.user_id}">
                    <form action="{xen:link members/post, $user}" method="post"
                        class="messageSimple profilePoster AutoValidator primaryContent" id="ProfilePoster"
                        data-optInOut="optIn">
                        <xen:avatar user="$visitor" size="s" />
                        <div class="messageInfo">
                            <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} == {$user.user_id}">
                                <textarea name="message" class="textCtrl StatusEditor Elastic" placeholder="{xen:phrase update_your_status}..." rows="3" cols="50" data-statusEditorCounter="#statusEditorCounter"></textarea>
                            <xen:else />
                                <textarea name="message" class="textCtrl Elastic" placeholder="{xen:phrase write_something}..." rows="3" cols="50"></textarea>
                            </xen:if>

no_status.webp

i was becoming increasingly annoyed with profile comments being confused with status updates and having things like 'youre welcome' and 'lol i agree' showing up in the activity feeds as status updates.

I kept stressing this very issue in multiple postings in this discussion: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...status-in-user-profile-is-confusing-now.1367/. I already expected this to happen on other boards (so I am glad with your confirmation) and it will certainly happen on mine when I switch to XenForo. I hope XenForo can somehow improve this functionality in the future in the stock install.

I kept stressing this very issue in multiple postings in this discussion: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...status-in-user-profile-is-confusing-now.1367/. I already expected this to happen on other boards (so I am glad with your confirmation) and it will certainly happen on mine when I switch to XenForo. I hope XenForo can somehow improve this functionality in the future in the stock install.
futhermore, when i added a status sidebock with the built in status update input people started using it as a shoutbox!
that lasted only two days before i fixed it.

Top Bottom