Hetzner Hacked!

Mike Edge

Though I have not had a server with them in a long time, I still receive mailing from them. Just got this one a bit ago.

Full text of the email sent to cutomers:
Dear Client

At the end of last week, Hetzner technicians discovered a "backdoor" in one of our internal monitoring systems (Nagios).

An investigation was launched immediately and showed that the administration interface for dedicated root servers (Robot) had also been affected. Current findings would suggest that fragments of our client database had been copied externally.

As a result, we currently have to consider the client data stored in our Robot as compromised.

To our knowledge, the malicious program that we have discovered is as yet unknown and has never appeared before.

The malicious code used in the "backdoor" exclusively infects the RAM. First analysis suggests that the malicious code directly infiltrates running Apache and sshd processes. Here, the infection neither modifies the binaries of the service which has been compromised, nor does it restart the service which has been affected.

The standard techniques used for analysis such as the examination of checksum or tools such as "rkhunter" are therefore not able to track down the malicious code.

We have commissioned an external security company with a detailed analysis of the incident to support our in-house administrators. At this stage, analysis of the incident has not yet been completed.

The access passwords for your Robot client account are stored in our database as Hash (SHA256) with salt. As a precaution, we recommend that you change your client passwords in the Robot.

With credit cards, only the last three digits of the card number, the card type and the expiry date are saved in our systems. All other card data is saved solely by our payment service provider and referenced via a pseudo card number. Therefore, as far as we are aware, credit card data has not been compromised.

Hetzner technicians are permanently working on localising and preventing possible security vulnerabilities as well as ensuring that our systems and infrastructure are kept as safe as possible. Data security is a very high priority for us. To expedite clarification further, we have reported this incident to the data security authority concerned.

Furthermore, we are in contact with the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA) in regard to this incident.

Naturally, we shall inform you of new developments immediately.

We very much regret this incident and thank you for your understanding and trust in us.

A special FAQs page has been set up at http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Security_Issue/en to assist you with further enquiries.

Kind regards

Martin Hetzner

How about bank data (debit note)? Is this compromised?
Bank details are encrypted (two-way) in the database. However, it cannot be excluded that the attacker/s have also been able to obtain access to the key.

^ This is the big on

Anyone here using Hertz should really think about canceling their debit card, bank card, credit card, and if you used any bank account numbers for payment (bill pay or wire transfer for example), you may want to close your bank account and open a new one. :coffee:

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    122.2 KB · Views: 47
How about bank data (debit note)? Is this compromised?
Bank details are encrypted (two-way) in the database. However, it cannot be excluded that the attacker/s have also been able to obtain access to the key.

^ This is the big on

Anyone here using Hertz should really think about canceling their debit card, bank card, credit card, and if you used any bank account numbers for payment (bill pay or wire transfer for example), you may want to close your bank account and open a new one. :coffee:

Hertz or Hetzner?

Hertz or Hetzner?

I'm really, really bad with names.

I dated my ex wife for about 2 weeks before I could remember her name. I kept calling her hun (mostly), but also honey, sweetie, babe, ect... Her name was Heather.

Took 2 weeks to remember that fact.... Really bad with names.

Top Bottom