help with memcached

Live Free

I've had issues with this in the past but it had been sorted. Presently I suspect memecached isn't working properly as I notice no difference in page speed/Insights rating when toggled.

• Server-side, EasyApache does not list memcache as installed. However, when I view phpinfo() through the AdminCP I still get some information on memecache.

• Under Perl Module installer it says I have the following installed:

Cache::Memcached::Fast​

I'm trying to ensure memcached is enabled and working for Xenforo. When I remove the cache info from the config I see no difference in PageSpeed Insights time.

With config cache settings active, I see no difference in PageSpeed Insights when "Minify CSS" and "Fetch public templates as files" is active in the Xenforo Performance Options.

This leads me to believe that memecached may be installed on the server but is not active for the Xenforo installation.

How can I tell if memcached is installed and working properly?

Why does phpinfo (run through XF ACP) show memcache (not memcached) information when according to EasyApache it's not installed?

Relevant config:

Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['cacheSessions'] = true;
$config['cache']['backend'] = 'Memcached';
$config['cache']['backendOptions'] = array(
    'compression' => false,
    'servers' => array(
        array(
            // your memcached server IP /address
            'host' => '127.0.0.1',

// memcached port
            'port' => 11211,
        )
    )
);

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 1.43.04 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 1.43.04 PM.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 32
Is memcached necessary on a single server? I've been reading so many threads about this, with some say yes while others say no..

Is memcached necessary on a single server? I've been reading so many threads about this, with some say yes while others say no..
Necessary? If not a large site, then no. Nice... yes.
If you are on a dedicated server, you can throw a little resources at it and it will make a difference - especially once you start putting several domains on it that the script can use it.

I mean, memcached + pecl-memcache, instead of memcached + pecl-memcached.
That's what I'm referring to.. you needed the daemon and then you also needed the PECL for for both memcache and memcached. At least on the Debian systems I set up I found that was the only way to get it to reliably work.

I'm making it work in one forum only with memcached + pecl-memcache. The OP has installed memcached + pecl-memcached, so it can't work.

Under PHP Pecl Installer neither memcache nor memcached was listed as installed. I was able ot install memcache.

Attempts to install the memcached Pecl Installer are unsuccessful and it doesn't show up in the module list. Here is part of the installation screen:

Code:
checking for libmemcached location... configure: error: memcached support requires libmemcached. Use --with-libmemcached-dir= to specify the prefix where libmemcached headers and library are located
ERROR: `/root/tmp/pear/memcached/configure --with-libmemcached-dir=no' failed
The memcached.so object is not in /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20100525
Tidying /usr/local/lib/php.ini...
No changes
Tidying /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/php/54/etc/php.ini...
No changes

On cli/ssh run:

If this works you will see the following (telling you that the given port is open):

You can also check whether the memcached service is running by typing:

First checks out. Second:

Code:
nobody    2585  0.1  1.2 139880 43544 ?        Sl   May17 135:25 /usr/local/bin/memcached -u root -m 64 -p 11211 -u nobody -l 127.0.0.1

root     22456  0.0  0.0  61304   724 pts/0    D+   01:09   0:00 grep memcached

Attempts to install memcached module via ssh:

Code:
 yum install php-pecl-memcached

Excluding Packages in global exclude list

Finished

Setting up Install Process

No package php-pecl-memcached available.

Nothing to do

This is above my head, but I'm learning. I'd appreciate any direction.

Since CentOS is paid software, why don't you open a ticket? I got rid of CentOS some years ago and I couldn't be happier, it's a resource hog and a pain to maintain.

I think he's thinking of Redhat. Easy enough to get them confused (if you ignore the name of the OS that is).
I remember the days when RedHat was free for use, and if you wanted support you paid for that. Now with RHEL it's a paid if I remember correctly.
BSD's have their own warts and issues. It's not the be-all/end-all of OS's either. Another issue with the BSD's is - last I checked - they had no native version of Percona nor MariaDB 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom