Help with hosting resources much appreciated!

I am currently with TSOHost on a standard shared cPanel plan. When things are working my website run fine! However the last month I have constantly daily downtime due to server load in general. Now to combat the issue TSOHost have offered to migrate me to a different shared cPanel server, or migrate me to a Cloud Based Shared cPanel sever. The current resources given on this Cloud Based package is as follows:

CPU - 1 ( I assume it means cores?)
Memory - 512MB
Input/output (I/O) - 1024
MySQL databases - 25 x 1GB

Now I don't know what resources are allocated to me at the moment. But what would this cloud service allow me to run forum wise?

Messages, Users, Peak users online?

The CPU and Memory worry me. I understand it would be dedicated to my websites and not for server backend stuff however.

Also I am currently at 70MB of database with just 100 members! How big will it grow in regards to members, messages etc?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

It's hard to answer your questions of "how far will it go" without seeing your site in action (from a server perspective).

With a 70MB DB and 100 members those resources shouldn't be giving you issues unless you're getting hammered by bots or something we're not aware of.

Thanks for your reply!

At them moment on the non cloud plan I think it's just general load. Not all down to my forum, there is quite alot of websites on the sever from many clients I assume.

Just trying to gauage if it's worth upgrading to a cloud based plan with those listed resources. And if those resources would be of any use to me.

Thanks for your help!

If you are able to configure and maintain a server yourself without needing things like CPanel, you can get a lot more for your $$ with a VM instead.

here's something worth trying out. start a droplet on DO (or Linode or Vultr or any other similar platform). use their guides to setup a basic server. and see if you can get it to work. than migrate the domain and database on it and migrate for a few hours and see if it works out well. that's what i did (though i did take a lot of help from a friend who had some experience with setting up nginx on DO). has been working well so far.

TOTALLY agree that you can get much more for your money if you go with a self-managed VPS, as opposed to a shared hosting setup. Not to mention, you won't have the resource restrictions (memory, storage, bandwidth) and noisy neighbors that a typical shared hosting provider has.

From a pricing and features standpoint, IMHO it's hard to beat Linode if you want to go the self-managed VPS route.

The setup and HOW-TO guides at Linode are excellent, accurate and targeted to newbies. I was a total n00b and went from a managed hosting setup at 1&1 to a self-managed VPS at Linode, and it was not that difficult. The how-to guides for initial setup and configuration were immeasurably helpful. Start with a small Linode (what they call a "nanode") and do a test setup/install, and once you get it down, then you can either scale up or migrate to a VPS configuration with more resources if you need to. Linode has knowledgeable and very responsive (minutes or perhaps a couple of hours) tech support, as well, and has 11 data centers worldwide to choose from.

A lot of people here live and die by KnownHost, which is supposed to have the fastest cloud infrastructure, and the best and most responsive technical support, of any cloud service provider on the entire planet. They operate three data centers on two continents. So you may want to check them out, as well. I personally have no experience with KnownHost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom