• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help moving from VB

Hi,

I've been a long time admirer of xenforo, but had to use VB for a recent project due to integration with other software.

I've now been able to get around this and looking forward to moving to xenforo.

My question is:

How do I get all my data from VB to use in the XF importer?

It's a small forum I use for support, so there's only around 100 users and not that many posts.

You'll need your files for avatars and attachments, and your database.
If I wasn't worried about avatars and attachments is it just a matter of getting my database file?

How do I get that? Through myphpadmin or what? Is there a video? (I'm a novice at this stuff)

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You just configure the importer with the path to the database and login credentials.
It's all very simple.

You just configure the importer with the path to the database and login credentials.
It's all very simple.
So I don't have to export anything? I just delete all the vbulletin files and install xenforo in the same directory and fill out the database details in the importer?

(thanks for the rapid help :) )

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The usual method is to install XenForo in a temporary directory, perform the import, then move the XenForo installation and delete the vB installation.

The usual method is to install XenForo in a temporary directory, perform the import, then move the XenForo installation and delete the vB installation.
So just to be clear, if I install XF on in a /xf/ directory and perform the import, delete VB, and then change the directory to /forum/ that will work?

When I'm doing the 'Configuration Builder', do I enter the same details as I have for the VB forum (MySQL user/password/database), or should they be unique, and then I'm importing later?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
When first creating the forum, you use new database details.

If you are importing, you have to enter the details of the (vB) database you are importing from.