1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help migrating a forum from VB4 to Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by level8, May 23, 2012.

1. level8

level8 New Member

Hi

Im looking to taking my current vbulletin4 forum and use Xenforo. However in terms of copying over the MySQL databases etc... is all beyond my knowledge. :unsure:

Is there a step-by-step guide on this or a service where someone will do this for me? (y)

Any help appreciated :)

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I have some recent experience with this :)

I've sent you a PM.

I don't think there's a step by step guide that will talk you through the whole process. There are indeed instructions for how the importer works, though.

I am happy to do this with you and talk you through the process at the same time. You might learn something :)

3. taylor_smith

taylor_smith Well-Known Member

4. level8

level8 New Member

thanks... may have to give this a try :)

5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

6. level8

level8 New Member

thanks for the help... started to use the guide.. however my old forum is on another website, this seems to want to take it from the same server.
    I assume I need to change where it says MySQL Server: localhost.
    any help appreciated :)

7. Chris D

If your current database accepts remote connections then you would just specify the IP address of the server and username and password.

8. level8

level8 New Member

guess it doesnt that didnt work :(

9. Chris D

How much control do you have over your old server?

If you have access to cPanel there might be some options to turn on remote access to your mysql.

If you have SSH/shell access, that's even better because you could dump the database to a file, download it, and then upload that to your new server.

You may need to seek help of your server admin or hosts if none of this makes sense :)

10. level8

level8 New Member

I have cpanel.... I tried to download my mySQL from the old server (32mb) tried to upload it in myPHPadmin on the new server but just threw an unknown error up :(

11. Chris D

12. level8

level8 New Member

yeah bought it... got remote working :)