1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Understand This IIFE With XF Context

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by TheBigK, Apr 7, 2015.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I'm referring to the scratchpad.js which is a part of Kier's Scratchpad addon. The file starts with this -

!function($, window, document, _undefined)

I've following questions:-

1. Why does it have "!" before function()? Is it not negating the private scope of stuff inside the function?

2. Why is undefined variable written as _undefined? Is it just a way of writing or there's something more to it?

3. Why do we have a namespace when we already are inside a function? [Does this question make sense?]

This is the JS file:-

Code:
    /** @param {jQuery} $ jQuery Object */
    !function($, window, document, _undefined)
    {
        // new namespace for this add-on: XenForo.Scratchpad
        XenForo.Scratchpad =
        {
            /**
             * A bit like quick reply, but for scratchpad notes
             * @param jQuery form.ScratchpadQuickNote
             */
            QuickNote: function($form)
            {
                // bind a function onto the AutoValidationComplete event of the form AutoValidator
                $form.bind('AutoValidationComplete', function(e)
                {
                    // check that templateHtml was received from the AJAX request
                    if (e.ajaxData.templateHtml)
                    {
                        // prevent the normal AutoValidator success message and redirect stuff
                        e.preventDefault();

// hide the 'no notes' message if it's there, and when it is hidden...
                        $('#ScratchpadNoNotes').slideUp(XenForo.speed.fast, function()
                        {
                            // ... load any externals specified by the template, and when that's done...
                            new XenForo.ExtLoader(e.ajaxData, function()
                            {
                                // ... prepend the templateHtml into the notes area
                                $(e.ajaxData.templateHtml).xfInsert('prependTo', '#ScratchpadNewNotes');
                            });

// clear the textarea contents and refocus it
                            $form.find('textarea[name=message]').val('').focus();

// set the 'date' input field to contain the date of the most recent post (from ajaxData)
                            $form.find('input[name=date]').val(e.ajaxData.date);

// re-enable the submit button if it's been disabled
                            $form.find('input:submit').removeAttr('disabled').removeClass('disabled');
                        });
                    }
                });
            }
        };

// register the QuickNote functionality
        XenForo.register('form.ScratchpadQuickNote', 'XenForo.Scratchpad.QuickNote');

}
    (jQuery, this, document);

2. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

1) Using the ! operator before the function causes it to be treated as an expression, so we can call it "!function(){}()". This will also return the boolean opposite of the return value of the function, in this case true, because !undefined is true. In addition this also helps if a prior script has not been closed correctly, as it inserts a semicolon automatically.

2) A variable can be written like the author wants to write it. In that script Kier seems to like to start it with an underscore.

See:
    http://toddmotto.com/what-function-window-document-undefined-iife-really-means/

Or also:
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/question-about-js-file-in-xenforo.51395/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    TheBigK likes this.
  3. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Thanks @HWS . I stumbled upon that article after posting my question. Still want to understand why namespace is being used? I gather that it's meant to keep the scope of variables private.

4. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

It keeps it organized. XenForo.ScratchPad is the add-on. The functions belonging to it should... belong to it.. instead of the XenForo namespace directly (for example everything in xenforo.js belongs to the XenForo namespace).