1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 HELP! I cannot log on to my forum.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by LT Jennifer, Oct 23, 2015.

1. LT Jennifer

LT Jennifer Member

I'm in the process of building a new XF installation. I never had any problems in logging on before; I was able to log on this morning but now I'm locked out.

Recent changes (yesterday):

>> Switched off one notice and switched on another
    >> Changed phrase your_name_or_email_address to Enter your user name
    >> Updated board meta description to a more descriptive name
    >> Activated full friendly URLs
    >> Created M and F user groups and denied F access to Guy Talk (no one in this group yet)
    >> Moved forum from /troubles to /forum (on the server) by:
    - Changing Options > Basic Board Information > Board URL
    - Renaming the /troubles directory to /forum
    - Installed a new "password gate" as /index.html -- when you click on the w, it goes to /forum/index.php
    - Modified the notices to the correct URL
    - Did not restart the server -- it seemed to work fine anyway
    >> Removed Home Page URL (blanked it out)

As I said, I was able to log on this morning. Then I made some more changes:

Recent changes (today):

>> Turned off Show Staff Banner and Allow Banner Stacking
    >> Turned "Super Admin Jennifer" (me) staff status back on
    >> Set up Administrator and Moderator banners (black on light green)
    >> Permitted Administrators and Moderators to stick and lock threads

Then I logged off, and a few hours later, tried to log on again:

- I got to the forum list no problem
    - I clicked Log in or Sign up and got the usual dropdown
    - I entered my user name and password and clicked Log in
    - Then I got "Error 404: NOT FOUND! This Domain has been registered recently."

The same thing happened when I'm in the Forum List and click on a recent post -- I get the same 404.

I've been using this domain for over a week without serious problems!

Could any of the above changes cause the problem?

If a server restart is needed because of cacheing, why did it take so long for the problem to show itself?

Do you think an /.htaccess redirect would solve the problem?

My forum is at www.alemontree.eu -- if it says enter-the-password, just click on the w.

A quick response would be appreciated.

JF

2. Dakota Storm

Dakota Storm Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's something to do with your URL structure, as your login page is redirecting to

http://www.alemontree.eu/forum/login/login

Edit: if you can still access your administration panel, try disabling friendly URLs for now.

3. Robru

Robru Active Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. LT Jennifer

LT Jennifer Member

@TwistedMerlin: yes, I see that now (the "/login/login"). I have NO access to my Admin panel at this time.

@Robru: I replaced the parking page over a week ago. Now I have what I call a "password gate" -- a simple HTML page that redirects to /forum/index.php when you click on the w. Doing so gets me to the forum list no problem. It's only after that point I have trouble.

The only .htaccess is the one installed with XenForo.

JF

5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Did you set this one properly ie did you change it from htaccess.txt to .htaccess?

When you say you have no admin access, does that mean that when you try logging into http://www.alemontree.eu/forum/admin.php you are getting a 404 error?

6. LT Jennifer

LT Jennifer Member

@Martok: there is only .htaccess but no htaccess.txt file.

I had my hosting company restore my web space as of last night and was able to log onto that.

I didn't know about http://www.alemontree.eu/forum/admin.php but I tried it and it worked just fine.

I was able to TURN OFF Full Friendly URLs and that seems to have fixed the problem. (I'm glad I kept a proper change log!) Although I'm curious -- if I turned Full Friendly URLs ON yesterday, then why didn't the problem show up sooner?

I (and presumably everyone else) can access the original forum now. Thank you all.

JF

7. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Glad your site is working now. :)

It's worth getting full friendly URLs working, I'd have thought 1&1 would support this. Take a look at this guide

https://xenforo.com/help/friendly-urls/

and check your .htaccess file. Get in touch with 1&1 if necessary.

8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd chime in on this. Before we got it properly set up--this was a long time ago--we had this problem, too. It was fine for a while and then it would not work.

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If FURLs are not supported, it would immediately stop working other than for the index page.