Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo ? I want more from you and more of you !

Digital Doctor

Honest suggestions please.

For fear of shy posters, I will accept Conversations ... and I will repost those anonymously.
I will also setup an anonymous email later.
:)

Moved from development questions to feedback.

I have to say though, I'm not entirely sure why you personally are canvassing developers on behalf of XenForo.

And I'm not entirely sure what can be done to get more developers on board.
Ideally there would be some more discussion on this topic.
I haven't seen xenforo extending it's hand to actively encourage developers.
Sure, xenforo is the best forum around, bar none. But what else could be done ?
I put this in the developers forum to give it exposure to the developers themselves. Ideally you would put it back.
This is not a Pre-Sales or Feeback issue.

If developers have a problem we post Here for help (in time you get a answer)
There is a request hook thread etc.. there is more out there than I think you understand

It was me who reported this to be moved btw.. Defo not a dev question and the title is also kind of taking the piss
"We want more from you"

Can't wait for your release

I haven't seen xenforo extending it's hand to actively encourage developers.
Perhaps you have not been paying attention?
...we must take into account data belonging to users that is not part of the XenForo core. To that end, a solution must be developed whereby add-on developers may register the content types of their applications so that they too may have their authors merged.

This will require consultation with add-on authors in order to agree on the best approach. I have a few ideas that should work, but I will need add-on developers to sign up to the scheme in order to make it fly. Perhaps we could organise an online chat sometime, if Floris would agree to host it in his IRC room.

I haven't seen xenforo extending it's hand to actively encourage developers in an optimal way.
Of course there are questions answered and discussions.
This is what is expected and has been done by all other forum software in the past.
Xenforo is new and fresh and should look for new and exciting relationships with addon developers.

I haven't seen xenforo extending it's hand to actively encourage developers in an optimal way.
This is what is expected and has been done by all other forum software in the past.
Xenforo is new and fresh and should look for new and exciting relationships with addon developers.
:rolleyes:

Notice most developers are fine with the rate that things are going, and there are actually many developers here already. A lot of them are busy with their own releases, or with client work themselves.

I will humor your idea here and follow with a question as I'm not sure myself what you mean. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

• What do you think would proactively approach on an 'optimal way' without slowing down what already is a well oiled machine here?

I have learned to make my own modifications that actually work because of the modding/dev community here and their help. It took me finding XF to be able to do this, for years I have not been able to do it with any software even if it were to mean saving my life. Naturally I find it hard to think of a place doing better then they are when they already brought hope to the hopeless(me). Maybe you see something I don't.

Forsaken, the big ideas man.
Thanks for your help, again.

I have learned to make my own modifications that actually work because of the modding/dev community here and their help. It took me finding XF to be able to do this, for years I have not been able to do it with any software ...
Certainly that is a good endorsement of the community.
The first wave of xF purchasers are no doubt a great group of very knowledgeable people.
xenForo is great software. What will change great software to the defacto standard in forum communities ? Great addons with the best community.
The question is .... how does Xenforo get there ? It needs to lead not follow.

It most definitely is not a development question.
I didn't say it was.

I put this in the developers forum to give it exposure to the developers themselves. Ideally you would put it back.
This is not a Pre-Sales nor Feeback issue.
This is more a feedback related thread than anything else.

It most definitely is not a development question.

I certainly feel that developers can speak up for themselves. Title Suggestion...

"Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo ? We want more from you and more of you !"

To:

"Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo ? I want more from you and more of you !"

I think it would be extremely helpful if we had people stop telling us what to do with our modifications, both in terms of whether we charge for them or not, and deciding what modifications should do instead of just merely make a suggestion and letting the add-on developer decide. Oh, and stop giving us flack because they don't like a certain way a modification is done.

Otherwise, what do I want from XenForo? Nothing more than what they're already giving. Kier and Mike have provided a very, very nice platform to work from, and they and other people have been massively helpful when it comes to answering questions or providing examples. The add-on community may not be large yet, but that's because XenForo is still new. I imagine there's also a few people who aren't touching XF yet because of the lawsuits and want to know which way the wind will blow before they start to invest serious time in it. I think there's probably even a smaller percentage that would like to, but don't have the knowledge or experience working with XF yet, or are perhaps busy with their own projects elsewhere (like at vB or IPB).

Give it some time and they will come. You seem to be expecting a massive developer community vBorg has, which took years to grow, in a few weeks here.

I think xenforo deserves something better than vBorg. Much better.
If you are willing to settle for "what has been done before" ... good for you.

I don't think time will bring anything but slow, incremental change.
I think xenforo should lead not follow.
Doing what previous forum software has done (which was really ... nothing) isn't going to bring what this great forum software deserves.

It's already different though...the mods are here at the home site not at a secondary domain which happens to be similar.

Doing what previous forum software has done (which was really ... nothing) isn't going to bring what this great forum software deserves.

Enough with telling and forcing what others should do and how they should do it . Common how many times do we need to repeat samething i guess Xenforo Developers already have some idea for their future . I think they already got your message .

Be patience let them work through their plans first.

What your doing here is pushing, pressuring people into fast tracking progress. allow it to come naturally because I have no doubt that xenforo will give us something better than the <care bear sister corp>. Fast tracking change is a sure way of failing (remember the days when other products fast tracking)? And I don't just blame this company but alot of it's members shouting from the rooftops saying "I want this now" "when will this be done" etc you get the picture.

Nobody is settling for anything, I want more but I realise that there are only two devs and they need time to put things in place and plan for the future with regards to any progressive implementation. If things are going to be done correctly, time and patience which I noticed alot of us have learned this time around.

I personally feel this thread has a whole different agenda. If something smells bad, chances are it'll taste bad.

I didn't say I was settling for what was done before, but thank you for not really reading what I said. If you're not willing to see what is already different here, there's not much anyone can do for you.

Kier and Mike are a lot more involved with the developers (and community) here. They also already said they have plans to properly support add-ons fully, but anyone with half a brain can see they're tied up with much bigger things for right now. I'm sure once that major hurdle is done with, there will be nothing slowing them down. It hasn't even been a year since XenForo was announced, I see no reason to rush anything.

FalconPunch.png

Not quite sure what this thread is trying to do, but to respond to the question I don't need much from XenForo at the moment. The software has made a great effort in creating a developer friendly environment. My only critique is that we need some sort of centralized add-on/resources market that will allow developers and designers to post their work with more defined features. Similar to that of vB.org, but better. However, I don't NEED that in order to still develop. The only thing we need is time and patience. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

Top Bottom