Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo ? I want more from you and more of you !

I see no reason to rush anything.
I agree with this 100% and have since the day the software was released in beta. My logic was to see what I could do to help the community if anything at all and in the end haste makes waste.

The only thing we need is time and patience. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

And look at that...all roads ended up leading to Rome anyways :-)

Did you read the title Shamil? and all his reply's?

I did. To start with, I didn't know what to think. However, I missed a small detail.

Let me redefine rough patch as : a small community.

Basically, he'd like to see enlargement of developer community here :)

Definitely nothing wrong with wanting more developers, but I feel as though it's better for it to happen in a more organic way. So far XF has done fairly well with the developers available now. I'm working with my partner to get more robust addons out there to show other developers that there is a lot you can do with this software. Keep an eye from us, we hope to make you all proud :).

What I find "interesting" ... is people who do the exact same things and expect things to be different !

#1) I want what is best for Xenforo
#2) This thread asked what developers might want from xenforo and the xenforo community.

There were PLENTY of problems associated with vBulletin addons.
Surely, someone has some suggestions for this new community ?

I want to know what other people think might help foster the xenforo development community ?

What attracts developers ?
Has Xenforo done 100% of what it needs ?

This was a very simple question.
I wanted to know what developers felt they would need.
I purchased vBulletin because of vBorg and the addon community.
I want xenforo sales to skyrocket ... and the best way to do that is to create a next generation developer community.

Sadly, I see all the same problems here .
"I'm not buying xenforo until it has Feature X ... and I don't trust addon makers because I've been burned in the past"
"Stop b*tching about support ... I do this for free and I'm breastfeeding right now"
"I know you want Addon Y ... but I'm doing this for free and in my spare time"
"I didn't answer your addon question because it was discussed on post #24601 14 pages ago".
"OK .. I found a developer ... can everyone who said they pay ... email me $35 ..." (thread goes dead)(community gets no addon, developer goes hungry)

Same problems.
Same as it always has been.

What I find "interesting" ... is people who do the exact same things and expect things to be different !

#2) This thread asked what developers might want from xenforo and the xenforo community.

I want to know what other people think might help foster the xenforo development community ?

I want xenforo sales to skyrocket ... and the best way to do that is to create a next generation developer community.

Sadly, I see all the same problems here .
"I'm not buying xenforo until it has Feature X ... and I don't trust addon makers because I've been burned in the past"
"Stop *****ing about support ... I do this for free and I'm breastfeeding right now"
"OK .. I found a developer ... can everyone who said they pay ... email me $35 ..." (thread goes dead).

Same problems.
Developers don't need you to talk for them, nor do designers. We are quite capable of doing so ourselves.

To make matters worse, you are a person who has aggravated and hounded many developers in their release topics or in discussions pertaining to work they intend to release. This is why nearly everyone who has jumped on you in this thread and a few others is a designer and developer.

Yes, you're trying to help grow the XenForo community, however everything you have done is doing the opposite. The more you push, the more you'll turn developers and designers away from releasing their work.

#1) So do I
#2) Developers either do it for money for passion or both. Time IS the constraint, with only so many hours in a day the developers here are accounting their normal life's timescale plus what they have started developing/completed and maintain. Leaving the problem with the people (I am included here) that want a custom mod and we either need find a coder & bring them here to show them the software and our own boards to be able to explain to them WHY they should take on your job and what possible rewards they will get by developing for this community and how your job can be the exemplar of what could be. If money is their modus operandi then the job becomes a question of how much?, when?, support?, and their ability to build on xf.
Sadly, I see all the same problems here.
preference...nothing you can say about that except once bitten twice shy.
"Stop b*tching about support ... I do this for free and I'm breastfeeding right now"
Ouch that's kinda calloused....I get what you mean but damn that's rough.
Either way no means no...regardless of how it is said. Either offer them money to do something custom or realize that they are doing what they are doing and putting it up for everyone to use. That's what a free mod is.
"OK .. I found a developer ... can everyone who said they pay ... email me $35 ..." (thread goes dead).
Same problems.
Well that just sounds like someone got beat for their cash Doc. Simple robbery.
Or maybe those people made an agreement to pay for ownership of the addon code which may or may not have been expensive and because of the cost are not sharing it until they can figure out what to do about it.

This thread is not going to go anywhere.

always = since vB3.5

Forsaken stop trolling this thread.
I was actually avoiding trolling or flaming you in anyway and was just being blunt and honest.

Read through the responses you have gotten in many of the add-on topics you have posted in, or ask some of the developers directly. Many of them will agree with what I have said.

This isn't vBulletin, it doesn't have the flaws vBulletin had, nor does it have the years of development that garnered the developer community it had before IB killed it.

Already, within two months (most developers are not comfortable with developing on RC or BETA products) there are plenty of developers, many of which are already releasing products that are much larger than would have been released on vBulletin by this time.

Now because I'm obviously trolling I'll stop posting in this thread, but at least read and consider what is said.

Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo ? We want more from you and more of you !

I do agree that xF needs MORE developers/coders. The are very few coders here and they are busy with other projects or simply aren't interested in working for money.
I just got some of my paid mods completed and a few others are currently being worked on by two great freelancers. Not everyone needs custom-coded mods, but the ones that do, may very well look elsewhere(if they are serious about their sites).

Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo? We want more from you and more of you!
I think this thread should be renamed to:
"Hello, XenForo: What support do you need from Developers? We [K&M] want more from you and more of you!"

.....I realise that there are only two devs and they need time to put things in place and plan for the future with regards to any progressive implementation. If things are going to be done correctly, time and patience which I noticed alot of us have learned this time around.
Two questions:
  1. Is XenForo always gonna be "only two devs"?
  2. How big is XenForo right now?

April 23, 2011: Just for the record, Mike and Kier have stated that an improvement for the add-on release system will be coming sometime down the road: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-com-add-ons-resources-system.7433/page-5#post-154442

Certainly The Resource Manager will bring some needed organization to the addon section (ie. categorization). It is something that Xenforo customers and Pre-Sales people will like ... but it is it likely to be something that brings in new developers ? I wouldn't think so, but I'd love to be surprised.

Hello Developers: What support do you need from Xenforo ?

Personally I would like to see at least 5 official guides for developers - starting with the basics going up. No need to cover things like PHP or mysql (which can be picked up elsewhere) but a few guides that by the end of any reasonable developer would be able to create good idiomatic plug-ins/mods for XF.

This simple investment now could prove very worthwhile for XF in the long run.

(I know there are user-submitted guides and I'll be getting round to them at some point, but you can't beat official guides where you know what you've learnt is the right way to go about things.)

Top Bottom