Heat Wave in S. CA

LPH

Palmdale (my home town) reached 111 yesterday. It should reach the same today. Phoenix was 119 yesterday while Furnace Creek in Death Valley still holds the world's highest recorded temperature of 134. Interestingly - furnace creek is holding around 128 these past few days.

Today is a good day to drink lots of ice water :)

image.webp

The latest is that the power grid is struggling. We usually run into problems in August and not this early but a change in the jet stream is causing this heat wave. LA Times is now reporting a possible 130 in Death Valley. It's close to a 100 year record.

The latest is that the power grid is struggling. We usually run into problems in August and not this early but a change in the jet stream is causing this heat wave. LA Times is now reporting a possible 130 in Death Valley. It's close to a 100 year record.
Yea, "global warming".
I'm from LA, and it's not that hot. People are just spoiled here. Travel around the world and feel what "hot" really means :)

Um. It's only 91 F in LA ...

The seminal paper --- August 8, 1975

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/files/2009/10/broeckerglobalwarming75.pd
Temperatures are going up, there is no doubt about that, but there are problems:
1. Comparing data accurately only 150 years back (out of 4.5 billion). 500,000 years non accurately and none at all beyond that.
2. There is zero proof that humans causes global warming from the first place. Humans contribute to CO2 levels, but that isn't the major cause of global warming. There are other things that contribute to CO2 levels as well.

My Conclusion: Humans have nothing to do with climate change, and all the hype going green is BS and a pure money waste for governments and people as a whole. And yes, I've studied global warming on different concepts, scientifically, philosophically and you name it, so I do know all the "theory" behind (studied academically, not because I like it).

First, the heat wave is due to a jet stream change. Nothing was said about global warming, except for your sarcasm. Let me reply to your apparent misunderstandings.

Temperatures are going up, there is no doubt about that, but there are problems:
1. Comparing data accurately only 150 years back (out of 4.5 billion). 500,000 years non accurately and none at all beyond that.

Did you know that warnings were given to Presidents back as far as President Truman? We don't need to go back beyond 1880 to see a pattern. The idea of thinking it's necessary to go into thousands of years is a distraction to avoid this graph. The use of oil started thousands of years ago but only represented a small percent of use of energy. By the 1880s economies moved to a larger percent of use of oil.

broecker1975_small.webp

2. There is zero proof that humans causes global warming from the first place. Humans contribute to CO2 levels, but that isn't the major cause of global warming. There are other things that contribute to CO2 levels as well.

You didn't read the paper I linked. The scientist clearly predicted the increase. Besides, science works from the NULL. Sorry. Proof is for mathematics. The question of climate change being influence by humans was settled decades ago.

My Conclusion:

The consensus among climate scientists was reached in the 90s that AGW is real. You can point to Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) as a point of consensus, even though other scientists point to earlier discussions. There were many other agreements reached by many nations with leading climate scientists expressing the need to be watchful.

I would urge you not to buy into the oil industry's need to keep the economy dependent upon their product. It's like the old game cigarette companies played .. read the science papers.

Man made climate change is myth. Oh yes, we warm the Earth- every heater, every air conditioner, ever electric light bulb, every internal combustion engine... Heck even every human generates heat- so in that respect, yes humans cause the Earth to warm.

But these is no proof humans are causing climate change, and certainly not destructive climate change.

The climate is not constant- it never was and never will be. The Earth does not exist in homeostasis. Deserts expand ans shrink, lakes dry up, rivers move. Running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to tax carbon dioxide, an absolutely MINOR non-toxic "greenhouse gas" is either very stupid or very criminal depending how smart you consider the people suggesting it.

Biggest greenhouse gas is in fact... Water vapor. It is a bajillion times more effcient at trapping heat than CO2.

Also, one thing completely ignored by the climate models is the ONE thing that matter most in the World's climate... the SUN. All climate models assume constant or predictable output of the Sun. We have zero reason to believe the Sun output is constant or predictable. Indeed we know for sure it is not constant, so the fall back is that it is predictable. However they cannot predict the weather 5 days out here on Earth and they think they can predict the Sun for the next 10, 100, or even 500 years.

Laughable.

Earth is either coming out of OR going into an Ice Age... Guess what... It is better to be coming OUT of one. Civilization will survive a rise in ocean levels. Even if we had to abandon our coastal cities, Civilization survives. If we go into an Ice Age with MILES of ice over the majority of North America and Europe and Asia... MILES of it- That civilization may NOT survive.

Palmdale (my home town) reached 111 yesterday. It should reach the same today. Phoenix was 119 yesterday while Furnace Creek in Death Valley still holds the world's highest recorded temperature of 134. Interestingly - furnace creek is holding around 128 these past few days.

Today is a good day to drink lots of ice water :)

View attachment 50266

Gladly take your weather any day of the week over the weather we get here in the UK.

The OP was about high temperatures and not GW. Lancaster hit a record 115 today, 111 was the old record.

Along this line - the Prescott fire department lost 18 of 19 firemen today fighting a fire caused by a lightening strike on Friday. The blaze rapidly grew in size today due to high temperatures.

Gladly take your weather any day of the week over the weather we get here in the UK.

Yeah. We get variety in the upper desert of LA county.

The OP was about high temperatures and not GW. Lancaster hit a record 115 today, 111 was the old record.

Along this line - the Prescott fire department lost 18 of 19 firemen today fighting a fire caused by a lightening strike on Friday. The blaze rapidly grew in size today due to high temperatures.

Yeah. We get variety in the upper desert of LA county.

I regard GW as "Hot weather". :D We just don't see this kind of heat in the UK. We may hit into the 90s but this is usually 3days - week throughout the year, if that.

119, biggest challenge: keeping my beer cold at the beach

signed; Northern Australia.

On the flip side, I've never seen snow and I never intend too :D

Yep, and just wait till all those awful coal fired power plants get shut down. Some "clean" states that buy their energy from those other states that use that old nasty coal are going to REALLY be hurting when they don't have any electricity to buy. :LOL:
Me, the heat doesn't bother much. I ride a M/C most of the time (cold, hot, rain, light snow - it doesn't matter much to me) so I'm not spoiled to A/C. The wife is and my son thinks a house that is above 72 degrees is HOT.:whistle:

I live in LA and my house thermometer said it was 94F when I left. I don't mind heat on to 100 but over 100 is too much for me. WHAT REALLY gets me is humidity. It's nowhere near as bad as florida or how the mid west/east coast can get it, but it's certainly something I'm not used to! I don't enjoy feeling sticky or walking out in 85F weather and spontaneously sweating lol.

I live in LA and my house thermometer said it was 94F when I left. I don't mind heat on to 100 but over 100 is too much for me. WHAT REALLY gets me is humidity. It's nowhere near as bad as florida or how the mid west/east coast can get it, but it's certainly something I'm not used to! I don't enjoy feeling sticky or walking out in 85F weather and spontaneously sweating lol.
It's been at least 40% humidity and upwards to 60-70% humidity every night for the most part.

I'll probably be moving closer to the beach where it won't get over 80-85 usually, but it's usually about 70-90% humidity.

Top Bottom